Rebecca Soper, Communication Studies Professor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Campbell chapter.

She may be the toughest cookie on campus, but this Communication Studies professor has a heart of gold. Mrs. Rebecca Soper is an adjunct Communication Studies professor at Campbell University. Soper, which she insists you call her, graduated from the University of Northern Colorado with a degree in Organizational Communication. Although originally an Iowa native, Soper currently calls Raleigh, North Carolina home.

What makes Soper one of the strongest professors at Campbell is her strength and perseverance through some very trying health problems. Among her lengthy list of achievements, arguably the most precious is cancer survivor. Soper has battled two different types of breast cancer, bone cancer and diabetes. Even treatment has presented her with further challenges; she has also had to deal with MRSA and VRE as a result of surgical wounds. One would never know of her struggles from her unceasingly optimistic outlook. Even during some of her most difficult health crises, Soper always maintains a positive, energetic attitude.

A proud and doting mom, Soper has two sons, Jason and Morgan. Jason is a field representative for Senator Richard Burr and Morgan is currently attending nursing school. When she is not in the classroom or with her two boys, Soper can be found oil painting or dancing.

Most important to Campbell students is the impact that she has on every student who passes through her classroom. Soper loves her students and it is evident in the way that she interacts with them on their first day in her class. Most likely, she will curse twice, possibly scare a new student or two, but proceed to greet every student by their first name and ask them how their break was. If you survive the first week of her class, she will undoubtedly make herself one of your favorite professors. With patience and a bit of organized chaos, Professor Rebecca Soper guarantees that her students will graduate from Campbell with a thorough knowledge of communication studies and a clear-thinking head upon their shoulders.

Rudy Thomas is a junior communications studies major with a concentration in public relations at Campbell University. With skills in public relations, organization, and communication, Rudy is ready to take on the world of non-profit work in the field of rescue shelters and women's homes. She will be marrying the love her life in December and cannot wait to serve her Lord and Savior with her future husband. Rudy loves her pink glitter Toms, getting to know everyone, and hanging out with her family and friends.