Miss Benson: Amery Capps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Campbell chapter.

Campbell University is honored to have Miss Benson 2011 as a Camel!  Amery Capps was selected Miss Benson a couple weeks ago.

What is your major and what year are you?

• Freshman Pre-Pharmacy Major

Where are you from?

• Clinton, North Carolina

About You

• I am the 18 year old daughter of Joe and Wanda Capps.  Co-owner of Southern Xtreme Clogging in Clinton, N.C.  I attended Hobbton High School in Newton Grove, N.C. where I played volleyball and soccer.  Gold medalist at the AAU Junior Olympics in 2005.  Auditioned and attained short list status for the 2011 season Paula Abdul’s “Live to Dance.”  Participated and completed my first half-marathon, Down Hill at Dawn in June of 2011.  Top 10 finalists at Miss North Carolina’s Outstanding Teen 2009.  Miss Hobbton 2008.  

What do you like most about Campbell?

• Considering I attended a very small high school that consisted of approximately 500 students total, I love the size of Campbell.  It is very much like my hometown and is only 40 minutes away from my home in Clinton.

What do you hope to do when you graduate?

• I plan to graduate with a Doctorate of Pharmacy degree and work as a pharmacist in my hometown.  My ultimate goal is to own my own pharmacy and be successful enough to provide a medical assistance program for individuals who cannot afford their medications and do not qualify for government assistance.  My plans also include a mobile pharmacy which will travel to remote areas once a month in order to make access readily available.

What is your Bucket List top 3?

1. I want to be Miss North Carolina and ultimately Miss America to promote my platform and work closely with “Children’s Miracle Network” to change the lives of others.
  2. I want to go on annual mission trips to different countries.  
  3. I want to fly with the Golden Knights.

What are you hobbies?

• Soccer; Volleyball; Clogging; Deer Hunting; Deep Sea Fishing; Skeet Shooting

What is your favorite movie?

• The Notebook 

How old were you when you started pageants?

• I started pageants when I was 5 years old.

Platform

• “Suitcases For Kids – Fostering Foster Children” is a program I began in 2007 which benefits foster children.  I started this program after hearing a story my grandmother once told me.  She told me that there was a foster child that was being taken away from their home and placed in another home.  The only thing the child had was a few pieces of clothing in a Wal-Mart bag.  This broke my heart so I started thinking of ways I could help foster children, the idea “Suitcases for Kids.”  This service project provides suitcases to local social services departments so when children are placed into foster care; they are given a suitcase instead of a plastic bag to place their belongings into at such a traumatic time.  Prior to the establishment of Suitcases For Kids, social workers had to use trash bags or shopping bags.  
Brittney is a sophomore Healthcare Management major with a minor in Spanish at Campbell University. She is active with Campus Ministries, including teaching a Bible Study and attending Wednesday night worship. Born and raised in the Bible belt, Brittney is from a small town, King, NC, in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. Some of her favorite things are cooking, watching movies, shopping, finding new recipes and creative things on the Internet. Brittney enjoys spending time with her friends and traveling as much as possible.