Your New Fall Go-To Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

October has finally come around, meaning it’s the time of year to throw on your favorite sweater, a pair of leggings, and some boots to do all of your fall favorite activities. For someone who is not from the area, it’s hard to know where to go for all your dream October weekend plans. You’re used to the area that you grew up in with all of your go-to spots locked down. That’s why I compiled a list of all of your new California University of Pennsylvania fall go-to’s.

Farms and Farmers Markets

Some of the best fall activities take place at a farm or a farmers market. Whether you’re dreaming of picking apples in the orchard or going on a hayride to the cutest pumpkin patch there’s a place for it all. Triple B Farms, located in Monongahela Pennsylvania, about 16 miles from CalU, is a top fall favorite amongst locals. The farm has special themed weekends all throughout October. For an all-exclusive wristband that allows access into things such as The Boo Barn, corn maze and the hayride to the pumpkin patch only costs eight dollars. Apples can be picked without paying for admission. Triple B Farms has their own store where they sell honey, fudge and a personal fall favorite, apple cider. Pre-picked apples, gourds and indian corn can also be bought at the farm.

Trax Farms Market is located in Finleyville, 20 miles from Cal, hosts a month long fall festival with pumpkins, hayrides and live music. This farm is also very popular among the locals though it seems that Triple B Farms takes most of the spotlight.

Fall Drinks

If you need to meet your yearly Pumpkin Spice Latte quota, or just need the other essential fall drinks this information will be crucial. Since Sycamore Bistro on campus doesn’t serve a PSL and Modeco only has pumpkin frappe’s, the nearest starbucks location is a must. Located in Belle Vernon, only about 10 miles from school which in comparison to the distances of the farms from campus is not bad at all. This Starbucks location is great because it has a drive thru option, though I recommend just going inside to order, it seems to be much quicker that way.

Another fall drink spot is your local Sheetz. Anyone who still feels a loyalty to Sheetz over any other gas station will understand that their hot beverages aren’t all that bad and knowing where the closest sheetz is during late night cravings is crucial. Just 11 miles from campus, this Sheetz is located in  Monongahela. You could stop for a gingerbread latte before heading to Triple B Farms if you need to get your fix!

Sight Seeing

For a gorgeous October view once the leaves begin to change, a very popular place is Ohiopyle State park located near Uniontown. It is only about a 44 minute drive, with some good tunes and great friends the drive would be enjoyable. Plus, it would be worth it just for the beautiful scenery.This location is very popular year round but especially in the fall for people who love to see the mountains changing to beautiful, rich colors.

Another great fall view is from Mount Washington overlooking all of Pittsburgh. The city would look absolutely beautiful during this time of year and it’s a great chance for a cute fall photo-op with your friends or for a fun fall date with your significant other. There is so much to do in Pittsburgh all within a close distance that you could make a day of it in the city, maybe enjoying Point Park downtown or the Carnegie Museum of Art near The University of Pittsburgh in Oakland.  

Halloween Related

One of the most beloved fall activities is centered around Halloween. People during this time of year enjoy a nice adrenaline rush in the form of scary hayrides or movies. Located in Monongahela is the infamous Demon House, a coveted haunted house for people to visit. Other local scary activities can be found in Smock, where Allen’s Haunted Hayrides resides, or in Smithfield at the Fright Farm.

As you can see there are plenty of great fall spots for your October enjoyment! I’ve only mentioned the ones I have visited or heard about but there are plenty of other places out there for you to discover. It may not be quite like your favorite fall spot in your hometown, it’s great to create new memories by finding new places that you love during this chilly time of year. Explore the area around our campus because you never know what great place you may find, plus you can have a great time with your friends while you’re doing it. Remember to stay spooky and enjoy yourself this autumn.

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.