What The Women In My Family Have Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

My mother taught me to always keep my head up high, and to never let my haters see me shed a tear. She is a very powerful, and an independent woman. She showed me that love and compassion will always win over hate. My mother has taught me to care for animals, and this taught me responsibility. When you can care for something other than yourself, it shows true character. She also taught me stand up for myself in times of conflict, but to always remain caring, loving and strong.

My sister has indirectly taught me to be the person opposite of those who bring trouble to the world. My sister has taught me that drama is not worth it. She showed me that trying academically will always reflect the kind of person you always knew you could be. My sister has taught me to love myself in the face of conservatism and hate. She has taught me that being myself will never be a crime and always a beautiful thing.

My Great Aunt taught me to garden. She showed me how to make life in earth’s most majestic form. My Aunt has shown me how food and coffee on a hot day somehow mix extremely well. She taught me that the most beautiful things in life are those moments alone with nature. My Great Aunt has shown me how to laugh away embarrassment. She has shown me how to be adventurous and happy.

My mom’s sister (aunt) has shown me how to have a good time. She has shown me that simple weekends spent at the park can feel like a vacation on its own. She has shown me how to make homemade perogies, a big cultural food from the area I reside. She has shown me that sporting events can be less about sports and most about family. She has taught how to make the best ice tea in the world that pair perfect with those hot humid days. She has shown me not to care about others thoughts on me, and to be mindful of the moments that can be replaced. She has shown me what its like to have a mother that is not your mother. My Aunt has loved me unconditionally since the day I was born, and in turn, she has shown me how to be a better person. 

I am a current English student with a concentration in journalism. I enjoy writing, art, and theatre. Feminist.