An Open Letter to Struggling Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Dear Student,

Take a deep breath.

In and out.

Breathe.

And repeat.

Finals week is one of the most stressful weeks of the semester. But, you are also more important.

Take a moment to remember that you are smart, and beautiful, and that grades and your GPA do not define who you are or your intelligence. College is place for learning, meeting new people, and achieving your dreams. Working hard is the only way for you to obtain your dreams and goals, but overworking yourself is not in your best interest.

Remember that you are not the only one struggling to keep your grades up and wanting to pass that last exam. Don’t pressure yourself to take on all those notecards, highlighted notes, and marked book pages. There are sources around campus to help you write that ten-page paper or to give study tips, and study groups to help comprehend material and be your support group.

When your eyes begin to get weary and a mental breakdown is coming, close that textbook, turn on your jam and have a dance party. Take a walk and clear your head. Even a fifteen-minute nap will go a long way. Youtube always has some funny video of epic fails, cat videos, and terribly funny parody songs. Take the time to relax, let your mind take a break and reenergize.

Always do your best and try your hardest, but don’t ever make your health and wellbeing second to classes and test scores. You are so much more worthy than a letter and the opinion of red ink. Just remember to breathe, remember to believe in yourself, and remember that you are smart and just as amazing at the end of the week as you were at the beginning.

Good luck lovelies and keep smiling.

Love immensely,

Another Struggling Student

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.