An Open Letter to My Professor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

To My Professor,

I promise this isn’t a complaint letter about your class or teaching methods, or the amounts of paper I have to write. I just wanted to tell you how thankful I am to have you in my life.

It was hard to go from high school to college. I had to pick a major and start planning for the rest of my life at the age of eighteen. Teachers and advisors tried to tell me what my best option was for careers and even where I should go to college. My parents tried to influence my decisions based on facts and reality. The idea of following my dreams seemed unrealistic and unattainable. Yet, I didn’t listen and am glad I didn’t.

College made me scared. I was afraid that I wasn’t good enough or smart enough to go after what I loved to do. Friends would tell me I was amazing. Family would tell me I could be whatever I wanted. I would tell myself that I wasn’t talented or smart enough. But, then I had your class.

You made me see my dreams in a new light. It already seemed like a reality, even if it was just the start of my journey. You helped me with my work, made suggestions, and told me of the hidden talent I had that I couldn’t see. Outside of class you asked how I was doing and how my work was coming along. You genuinely cared and would do anything to help me achieve my goals.

You are the kind of professor that cares more about the achievements of your students than the number on your paycheck. You remember each student’s name, even if you had to make name tags for the first few weeks. You always ask each student about their work and give words of encouragement. You made me open up and realize that I do have the ability to make my dream a reality, that I am good enough. I may not be perfect, but I am strong and able. And even though sometimes it would be easier if you didn’t see the potential in me, I am wholeheartedly grateful that you do.

You challenge me to get outside my comfort zone, to think in different views and to express myself. It means the world to me to hear that you have faith in the career path I have chosen and that you will help me in any way possible for you, but still let me learn from my own decisions.

People always tell me that the friends you make in college will be your friends for life. Well, now I know that goes the same for professors too. Any success I achieve would not have been possible without you. Thank you for loving what you do. Thank you for teaching with your heart and soul. Thank you for being the inspiration for me to continue my pursuit of happiness. Thank you for being my professor. Thank you.

Sincerely with love and gratitude,

Your Student

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.