An Open Letter to My Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Dear Daddy,

I can honestly say that I can’t remember the last time I called you Daddy. I can’t remember the last time I tried to fit into your work boots or held your hand in public. Sometimes, I can’t remember the last time I told you that I loved you without it being just a habit after saying goodbye.

Now that I am older, becoming a young adult and learning to live a life outside of the comfort of your arms and home, I regret not taking those chances to tell you just how much I appreciate everything you have done for me, and how much I truly love you.

I can remember putting on your shoes and old flannel, walking around the house, wanting to be just like you. I grew up watching you, loving what you loved and trying to learn anything you did. I can remember mom telling me that I was a “daddy’s girl” and I knew I smiled, because that meant our connection was so much more than just father and daughter.

But, as I made it into my teen years, I started to pull away from my dreams of becoming like you. I decided to pull away and do my own thing, discover what I love on my own. You have more rules and conditions than I had in elementary school. No school dances. No dating until I was sixteen. You had to always know what I was doing, where I was going and who I was with. I felt sheltered and suffocated, and began to get annoyed, I couldn’t understand why you couldn’t trust me.

But, now that I am way from home, I can see what I found suffocating was you just caring for me. You watched your little girl grow, change right before your eyes. It was scary for me to transition into different stages of growth, but I can’t imagine how you must have felt to watch me grow up before your eyes. You were just protecting me from a world I wasn’t ready for. You still are.

Daddy, thank you for making sacrifices for me. Thank you for working hard to put a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food to help me grow. For being my silent number one fan at all my band concerts and soccer games. For loving me when you didn’t agree on me getting my nose ring and tattoo, but understanding that I am an adult and can make my own choices. Thank you for giving me the chance to spread my wings and go to a college away from home, and trusting me enough to make the right decisions. Thank you for the extra-long hugs you give me when you drop me off each semester. Thank you for loving me in your own way and never giving up on me.

I know that it must be hard to see the little girl grow up and face a cruel world. I know that you just want what’s best for me. And I will never stop thanking you for giving me the world. I am proud to be your daughter, dad, and I want to be just like you when I grow up.

When you look at me, I know you see the young innocent girl I once was. But while I have grown into a young woman, I will always be your little girl.

I can’t wait for one of you long hugs.

I love you, Daddy.

Love always,

Your little girl