An Open Letter to the Girl with a Broken Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Dear Brave Girl,

I know that it’s easy to fake the smile and laughs in a crowded place, filled with family and friends. It’s easy to make a joke and laugh loudly, give hugs to those who know you best. It’s easy to hide the hurt and pain. It’s easy to hide your broken heart.

And I know that as soon as you’re alone and the door is shut, how quickly that it all disappears. The smile dims and your heart thuds brokenly when you let your mind run free. It’s easy then, almost habit that you fall to the floor or curl up on a ball on the bed, and cry, not remembering what exactly made you this way. You let your mind put these cruel words into your head and heart. All you know is that you are in pain and hurt, and feel all alone, and knowing that tomorrow you will repeat the same thing.

You feel weak, but you’re not.

You are so incredibly strong.

You don’t want to burden your friends with you pain. You don’t want them to know that you’re hurting and have no control over it. You don’t want them to see you broken. But, when you’re with them, smiling and laughing, for a moment you forget the hurt. And when they give hugs goodbye you hold on just a little tighter and a little longer, just to feel the love.

Image: iStock

It’s okay to cry and let out the anguish. It’s okay to not be strong and brave. It’s okay to feel broken, but know that you are anything but.

In such a cruel world, you push on, taking life day by day. It’s not easy and it’s not always happy, but here you are. Your heart still beats, your veins still pulse, and you’re still breathing. You are fighting back. Because right now you feel alone and devastated with how your life is, but you are not alone. Because I am here. Your friends are here. Your family is here. Because with each beat of your heart, you are healing and braving another day.

So many people love and care for you, so lean on us when the world seems to crumble around you. We only want the best for you. So, cry and let the pain take over, but only for a moment, because I know how strong and brave and beautiful you are. I know without a doubt that when you stand, you will take a deep breath and refuse to let the sadness take over. I know that you remember the love and memories you buried in the back of your head. And I know that that broken heart you thought you had was just your heart fighting for you, loving you until you were ready.

Chin up, sweetheart. We’re all rooting for you, with love and strength.

Love always,

All the Broken Hearted Girls