A Letter to the Girls I Used to be Friends With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Dear Girls I Used To Be Friends With,

How are you all doing? How’s college going? How are your parents? Are you dating anyone new? I’m asking these questions because I no longer know the answers and I suppose I haven’t for quite some time now.  

Let me start off by saying that I hope you’re all doing great. I hope college is going well and that you’re all studying something that you’ve always been passionate about. I hope your parents are still the same loveable people that I once knew them to be. And I hope that whatever guys you’re dating are treating you with the utmost respect because you all deserve it.  

Some of my all-time favorite memories happened with you guys. From the countless sleepovers where we would stay up all night laughing and talking about boys, the annual Christmas parties we would have, even the times where we cried because life was hard. We had endless inside jokes and any time we were all together it was known that something crazy was bound to happen. Being around each other brought out the best in each of us. We were always there for one another.  You were the girls I thought would be standing next to me on my wedding day.  We were in it for the long haul, or so we thought.  

I don’t recall there being a specific moment where we said that we weren’t friends anymore, it just kind of happened. We all gradually stopped making plans. Our text messages became few and far between and we found ourselves discovering things via Facebook instead of a phone call. It’s weird how people that once knew everything about each other are no longer aware of what goes on.  

I still have family that ask about you all because for the time that we were friends, my family was your family and vice versa. Any time I see your family anywhere they still greet me with the same warm smile and hug that I always received when walking into one of your houses. When they tell me how you’re doing I simply say “awe, that’s good.” Because I am truly glad that you got that internship, made the Dean’s list or whatever information that they provide me with. The reason I am happy for you is because there was a point in time where you were my best friends.  

I would be lying if I said that there weren’t days that I didn’t miss our friendships. There are several times a week where I see or hear something and I instantly think of one of you. I’ve even gone as far as getting ready to text you until I realize that sending you a random picture of a baby animal when we haven’t talked in months would be weird. There are nights where I’m sad and one of your positive messages would make me feel better, but I have to remind myself that you won’t be sending me one of those.  

I want it to be known that just because we aren’t friends anymore doesn’t mean that I hate you or wish you all to have miserable lives In fact, I want the exact opposite for you. I hope you all become successful, have a bunch of kids and have really hot husbands like we always used to dream of. People grow up and they grow apart. It’s unfortunately a part of life.  If someone would’ve told me five years ago that we all wouldn’t be friends today I would have said that they were crazy. It’s amazing how quickly things change. I want you all to know that if you ever need anything I’m still only a phone call away and the memories that we made together are something that I will always cherish.   

From, an old friend

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.