This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

As a Hispanic male that is also a part of the LGBT+ community I intently watched and studied this election. I made sure the candidate I chose held most of the same beliefs and values that I did. After all of the disgusting, misogynistic, and racist comments Donald Trump has made in his campaign, my choice was very clear. I was (and still am) with Hillary Clinton.

As I watched the news outlets report the voting results in real time I was unhappily surprised that Trump was in the lead from the beginning. Half way through the night when Trump was still in the lead I had an awful feeling that he was going to win.

Upon hearing that it has been confirmed that Trump has received the 270 electoral college votes he needed to win, I was astonished that a candidate that is in no way, shape, or form qualified has won. Immediate fear passed over me. I experienced feelings of worry for every minority that has come under Trump’s fire during his campaigning process. It is a harsh reality for every American that has been happy with the change and progress we have made in the past 8 years.

Like many other Americans, I will not let Trump ruin the amazing improvements we have made. As a young child it was difficult for me to come to terms with my sexuality, but growing up in a progressive and accepting America helped me be happy and confident with myself. It breaks my heart that there will be children that will hear the things that Trump and his running mate Mike Pence say and believe that they represent America’s beliefs as a whole. Amongst those children there will be some that struggle to accept their sexuality or gender identity, some that struggle to feel that as a woman they are equal, some that struggle because they feel inferior due to the color of their skin, some that struggle because of the way their disabilities have been made fun of, and some that struggle because they live in fear practicing their religion.

For those children I vow to fight for their rights and freedoms. They are loved and matter as much as every other American does.

To those children and anyone who is struggling with the outcome of this election I have one message: Love Trumps Hate!

When most people look at me, they don’t really give me another glance. They see me as just a normal person, walking around the streets of Pennsylvania. A lot of them see me as fully white, and fully American.

That’s not the case. It never was the case.

I’m very proud of who I am: I was born to a Russian mother and a Syrian father. I’m of Middle Eastern race and ethnicity. I get offended when people call me “white.” I am Jewish, not Christian by any means. But either way, with all those differences and such, I was raised in America. I was brought up fairly well.

However, that didn’t stop people from “punishing” me for my difference. Especially in recent days. If I had to be specific, it’s probably been since I was 15 years old that I’ve heard more derogatory, racist, and disgusting slurs thrown my way.

Why? Because I’m not the “ideal American.” Yes, I use “ideal American” because of Donald Trump and what he finds “ideal” and “normal” Americans to be. I’m not the ideal person that Donald Trump wants living in the United States of America.

Throw in the dual citizenship I have (in Russia) as well to the equation, I clearly have a target on my back. Throw in the fact that I love both Russia and Syria very much, despite their many faults. How could I not? I was born in Russia. It holds a special place in my heart.

A lot of people- including myself- have a lot of questions. What now? Donald Trump was elected to the highest office of the United States. The same man that was endorsed by the KKK and who basically has offended everyone who isn’t a heterosexual, white, Christian male will be the President of the United States in less than 70 days.

If that isn’t disturbing to you, I don’t know what is.

As a woman, as someone who is Middle Eastern, as someone who respects my LGBTQ+, Muslim and friends of color, I am shocked with the decision that Electoral College made. I say that, because Hillary Clinton did win the popular vote. That’s American politics at its worst- it makes us seem like our vote doesn’t even count.

I am scared of what’s to come in the future when Donald Trump is president. I’m scared for everyone who is different, because we won’t be able to be ourselves. The most heartbreaking thing I read about this whole outcome was a mother texting her daughter not to wear her hijab- the headscarf that Muslim women wear for modesty and respect of their religion- so she wouldn’t get assaulted or hurt.

That’s what we’re coming to, America, and now that Donald Trump is president, that’s not going away. I hate to say that, but it’s the truth. I don’t want it to be the truth. I’m sitting here typing this- something I never thought I was going to have to do- hoping that I’m just going to wake up from a bad dream and hear the words, “Madam President.”

I want to spread a message of unity to my fellow minorities and anyone who doesn’t “belong” in Donald Trump’s America. Yes, we’re scared and we’re fearful for what’s going to happen. It’s not melodramatic. It’s a real fear. If you were in our shoes, then you would understand. If you aren’t in our shoes, don’t be the first one to open your mouth with negative. Bring us positive vibes and positive actions, because we need some glimmer of hope right not.

Everyone who is labeled as different and not right in the eyes of Donald Trump needs to stick together. We need allies. We need assistance. We need positivity.

Right now, unity is our best option. And always remember. Love DOES trump the hate that Donald Trump has re-introduced into our country. And we won’t stand for hate.

Rachael McKriger, a junior at California University of Pennsylvania, is a contributor to HerCampus. In addition, McKriger is the Editor In Chief of her college newspaper, The California Times. She also serves a sports writer and the News Editor for the paper. At Cal U, McKriger is majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Outside of school, McKriger is a sports writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News, Pittsburgh Sports Castle, Real Sports Entertainment Network, and Politically Incorrect Sports Talk (all websites). She covers topics including the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pitt Panthers Basketball, the MLS, the U.S. Men's and Women's National Teams, the NWSL, the NBA, the NFL, and other sports related topics. You can follow her on Twitter, @TheeMcKriger, and find her articles on Facebook by searching "Rachael McKriger: NFL/Soccer." McKriger can also be found on Facebook under McKriger Photography, a photography company she started in March of 2016.
I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.