How to Help Survivors of Domestic Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Those affected by domestic violence are stripped of their safety, security, and material possessions. These aspects of our lives are things that we often take for granted.  Whether it’s you or someone you love there are ways to start to rebuild.

If you experience, see, or suspect domestic violence you should contact the campus Women’s Center. In the center are trained and welcoming individuals that can provide you with the tools to get help or assist the one you love. They also have connections to resources that will contribute to find resources close to campus from counseling to childcare if needed.

These safe spaces provide opportunities for those affected by domestic violence to talk about abuse. Not only can they help emotionally but they can creating a plan of action. These centers will assist the effect through the violent situations into

However, domestic violence is everywhere, and off campus, you can always help by finding a local shelter. Women’s shelter or domestic violence shelters aren’t just for women. They are also for children and families affected by violent situations. They are often in secret locations where survivors can go to be safe from abuse to provide sanctuary to those in need.

If you don’t know anyone who needs to find a local shelter, you can help in other ways. These shelters always need essential items like feminine hygiene products, bras, socks, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, diapers, wipes, clothing, bedding, and much more. You can find your local shelter here.

Other incentives that will help get survivors back on their feet to become self-sufficient and successful are unique to who will be affected by low income.

All over the country, there are Community Action programs that aim to provide “programs such as Head Start, job training, housing, food banks, energy assistance, and financial education,” too low-income individuals. While not every survivor of domestic violence will be deemed low-income, single parent families may find it hard if they have no support system. Non-profits like Community Action create incentives that cover a range of needs for survivors.

Other non-profit organizations like Dress for Success, a program that provides “a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and life.” This program while not specifically for survivors, but for low-income women can give a sense of self-esteem by giving them the tools and confidence to pursue a career.

Whether its by getting connected with resources or just being a supportive friend. It’s important to recognize that domestic violence is real and to support non-profits or organizations that help those in need.

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.