How to Cope with Young Deaths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

This is something I never wanted to write. However, sometimes life works in mysterious ways, and our most precious friends and peers are taken away from us at a young age.

More and more in the United States younger people are dying. Lately, it’s because of drug addiction or car crashes, but other times it could be a form of disease.

I grew up in Ambridge/Aliquippa, Pa. In our community of Aliquippa, we recently lost a young man, only 19 years old, on Tuesday to cancer. His name was DiMantae Bronaugh, and he fought hard. He had beat cancer once, but he was called to fight again. That’s what DiMantae did. He fought.

I wasn’t super close with DiMantae, but I did consider him my friend. He was a beacon of light, but he was taken away from us way too soon.

The same goes for my cousin Lisa that passed away at the age of 30 in 2011. The same also goes for one of my best friends, Katie, who passed away from drug overdose, at the age of 22, in 2014.

It’s hard to cope with the death of anyone, but when it’s someone younger, it seemingly gets tougher. Older people have lived an entire life, and I’m sure they lived it to the fullest. People get old, and then they die. That’s just how the human life works.

However, the human life did not say anything about burying our young friends, neighbors, and classmates.

I speak from a lot of personal experience in losing someone close to you that was young in age. I learned through Lisa, Katie and now through DiMantae. I’m not going to sit here and say that it’s going to be OK and that it’ll get easier. Sometimes, it doesn’t. Katie’s death took me a long time to get through. To be completely honest, I still haven’t recovered. Now, put DiMantae on top of that, and there’s a lot of grief and mourning.

That’s OK though. It’s OK to grieve and mourn. It’s OK to think that life isn’t fair- because it isn’t. It’s OK to get mad at whatever God you believe in.

I don’t think there will ever be an explanation about why younger people pass away. There’s the old saying of, “Why do bad things happen to good people?” I can honestly say that every time I saw Lisa, Katie, or DiMantae they were always happy and in good spirits. They weren’t bad people; they were very good people. However, they never got a chance to fully show that.

Something that helped me cope with the death of my friends was writing. Writing letters to Katie helped me get through her passing. Honestly, just talking about the person and all the times you spent together was a healing process. I remember laughing like crazy while talking to some friends about all the memories, while they just kind of sat there, unsure of what I was talking about.

Sometimes, life just comes and takes away our most beautiful flowers before they pick the weeds. It’s not fair, but honoring the memory of the young people we lost is fair in their name.

Rachael McKriger, a junior at California University of Pennsylvania, is a contributor to HerCampus. In addition, McKriger is the Editor In Chief of her college newspaper, The California Times. She also serves a sports writer and the News Editor for the paper. At Cal U, McKriger is majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Outside of school, McKriger is a sports writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News, Pittsburgh Sports Castle, Real Sports Entertainment Network, and Politically Incorrect Sports Talk (all websites). She covers topics including the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pitt Panthers Basketball, the MLS, the U.S. Men's and Women's National Teams, the NWSL, the NBA, the NFL, and other sports related topics. You can follow her on Twitter, @TheeMcKriger, and find her articles on Facebook by searching "Rachael McKriger: NFL/Soccer." McKriger can also be found on Facebook under McKriger Photography, a photography company she started in March of 2016.
I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.