This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

You can have the most radiant looking skin now but without a proper skin care would it still look the same in 30 years?

As one ages and grows, the skin starts to get exposed, becoming rougher and more wrinkled.

The face and neck should be some of the most important parts of the body that are taken care off. Lack of good skin care routines over a long period of time can lead to issues like acne, acne scarring, hypersensitivity, and even premature aging aka wrinkles.

You should also know what kind of skin you have. It helps determine what products is right for you to use. Some of the different skin types are acne prone, sensitive skin, oily skin, dry skin and combination skin. Skin care is something that is universal. Both men and women should use it for better hygiene.

There are many different types of products to use for healthier skin and they all serve different purposes.

First, we have products that help cleanses the skin.There are oils that help break down dirt that’s on the skin that normal washing won’t reach. This product is optional. Or not even needed. Unless you want that extra clean feeling and are willing to spend the money. A great cleanser is the Whiamisa Organic Flowers cleansing oil for sensitive skin. For all skin, use Julep Bare Face Cleansing oil. The Eve Lom Cleanser is great for dry skin.  

Cleansing brushes like The Clarisonic or The Clinique sonic system can be AMAZING. They can cost anywhere from $90-$150. Personally, I use the Clarisonic. For a cheaper, alternative drug store brand, try OLAY, Conair and Ulta. These brands all carry the same device ranging from $25-$50. You can look online to get this, and the best part is that these brands also make these devices for men.

Then you have exfoliators, mask and peels. Clean & Clear and Neutrogena are two good brands that have a wide range of products for all skin types. I highly recommend the Boots Botanics brand. They cater to all skin types and you can always find what you need.

Next, there are serums and eye creams. L’Oreal, Aveeno, Clearasil, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena and Olay are drugstore lines that sell serums ranging from $10-$25. Serums and eye creams are great to use before adding moisturizes They also can be used to treat problems like acne, anti-aging, and can even prevent wrinkles.

Eye creams are good to help with under eye circles. You always look at least a little less tired with the help of the cream. If you are willing to spend the money and go for high end products, Estee Lauder Skin is the way to go.

Then we have moisturizes. L’Oréal, Aveeno, Clearasil, Clean & Clear and Neutrogena all sell moisturizes that help keep the skin nourished and healthy. If you want to go high end, Clinique Estee Lauder and Charlotte Tillbury are good choices. 

Now that you know the products you need, let’s move on to easy steps to a proper skin routine.

The first step, cleansing. You’ll want to wipe your face using a cleaning wipe.  Wet your face with some water and add a little exfoliator on your hands and rub it into your skin in circular motions.

It’s better to rub in circular motions because it prevents you from tugging on your skin; that can cause premature wrinkles.

This is when the cleansing device comes in.They naturally rotate in a circular motion. Gentle on skin, tough on dirt. Exfoliating should be done roughly twice a week. After this, I usually apply either a face mask, or a peel. Masks and peels vary based on their different uses. Mask and peels can help in firming one’s face or to help reduce appearance of wrinkles. I use a mask that helps control the shin and impurities on my face. Some masks or peel might require you to wash your face afterwards, while others may not.

The last and final step is to moisturize. Moisturizers come in many different shapes and sizes so to speak, pick your choice of moisturizer and apply it to your face generously.

If you have ten minutes to spare every day to follow these nice and easy steps, there should be no reason why you too can have radiant skin. Also guys, don’t be put off by all the steps and products. As long as you have a good face wash and moisturizer you should be good to go.

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.