This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

The California University of Pennsylvania women’s basketball team has experienced plenty of success in their last couple of seasons under head coach Jess Strom.

The team opened up the season- in which they will hope to repeat their numerous successes- on Nov. 11 in the Mercyhurst Conference Challenge tournament. The Vulcans posted two wins. Their first win came against Notre Dame (Ohio) with a final of 74-59. In their second game, against West Liberty, the Vulcans put up a dominant 92-50 win.

The Vulcans will have three away games against West Virginia State, Kutztown University, and Mansfield University before their home-opener on Nov. 22 against Ohio Dominican.

The women’s team had plenty of time in the offseason to bring in new players and work with their “veteran” players for a successful 2016-2017 season.

The Vulcans brought in some new freshman in Gina Vallecorsa, BeBe George, DJ Hahn, and Bailey Cooper. In the Mercyhurst tournament, Hahn and Vallecorsa both accumulated 22 minutes of playing time. Against Notre Dame, Vallecorsa, a guard, totaled eight points in her nine minutes on the court. As for Hahn, a guard/forward, she totaled four points against West Liberty.

As for George, she totaled four minutes against Notre Dame at the guard position. Cooper did not total any minutes in the Mercyhurst tournament.

The Vulcans have many familiar faces returning. This year, the seniors are Lana Doran (red-shirt senior), Brittany Nelson (red-shirt senior), Precious Martin, and Miki Glenn. Glenn, a guard, was named the PSAC West Athlete of the Week on Nov. 14 for her efforts in the Mercyhurst tournament. Glenn, who started both games, totaled 47 points against West Liberty and Notre Dame.

Coach Strom, along with her assistant coaches Katie Tetzlaw and Kelly Sabo, will lead a powerful Vulcans team against a slew of PSAC ready teams. The Vulcans, who won the PSAC last season in a 62-52 win against Indiana University of Pennsylvania, will look to go for their third-straight PSAC win.

The Vulcans will face Kutztown University on Saturday, Nov. 19 in Kutztown at 1 p.m.

Rachael McKriger, a junior at California University of Pennsylvania, is a contributor to HerCampus. In addition, McKriger is the Editor In Chief of her college newspaper, The California Times. She also serves a sports writer and the News Editor for the paper. At Cal U, McKriger is majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Outside of school, McKriger is a sports writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News, Pittsburgh Sports Castle, Real Sports Entertainment Network, and Politically Incorrect Sports Talk (all websites). She covers topics including the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pitt Panthers Basketball, the MLS, the U.S. Men's and Women's National Teams, the NWSL, the NBA, the NFL, and other sports related topics. You can follow her on Twitter, @TheeMcKriger, and find her articles on Facebook by searching "Rachael McKriger: NFL/Soccer." McKriger can also be found on Facebook under McKriger Photography, a photography company she started in March of 2016.
I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.