Cal U Men’s Basketball Ready for New Season under McBride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Basketball season is underway at California University of Pennsylvania. While the women’s team is known for securing plenty of PSAC titles, the men’s team looking toward a new season under brand new head coach Kent McBride.

McBride has plenty of success. He won the Mountain East Conference last season with Concord, where he coached for the last five seasons. McBride was hired by Cal U in July and was quickly put to work, as he was sent right into the recruiting process.

McBride had a lot of holes to fill. He only had five players on the roster in Luka Andjusic, Nick Miller, Cordell Smith, Tony Richardson and Daniel Sapp.

McBride found himself a few transfer students in Robel Teckle, Rashawn Browne, Jay Tucker, and Michael Stevenson. He also found three freshman in Jacob Thibodeau, Ramon Creighton and Jordan Gessner.

The Vulcans are a brand new team with a brand new coach. With that, it takes time to find team chemistry on and off the court. The Vulcans aren’t looking for immediate success, with just wins. The team, especially Coach McBride, knows that it will take time.

“Our goal every season is to be as good as this team can be,” McBride said. “If that’s good enough to win a national championship, then great. All we can do is maximize our level. That’s what our goal is. The way we do that is attacking practice like it’s a game.”

The Vulcans opened up their season with the Virginia State Trojan Tip-Off Classic tournament. The Vulcans opened up their first game against Virginia State with a 78-53 loss. However, the team rebounded and put up a win against St. Augustine’s, with a final score of 71-69.

In their regular season, the Vulcans have dropped their most recent three games, but won their home opener against Davis & Elkins in a 100-92 overtime win. Against Kutztown, Cal U fell 80-65 and against Mansfield the Vulcans lost 73-70. Against Ashland, the Vulcans fell 80-67.

The Vulcans are clearly a much different team under McBride than they were under former head coach Bill Brown. The team has plenty of new players and a younger approach to a new season. The Vulcan’s next home game will be against Cheyney on Dec. 3 at the Convocation Center. Before Cheyney, the Vulcans will face Davis & Elkins on No. 30.

Rachael McKriger, a junior at California University of Pennsylvania, is a contributor to HerCampus. In addition, McKriger is the Editor In Chief of her college newspaper, The California Times. She also serves a sports writer and the News Editor for the paper. At Cal U, McKriger is majoring in English with a concentration in Journalism and minoring in Sociology. Outside of school, McKriger is a sports writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News, Pittsburgh Sports Castle, Real Sports Entertainment Network, and Politically Incorrect Sports Talk (all websites). She covers topics including the Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pitt Panthers Basketball, the MLS, the U.S. Men's and Women's National Teams, the NWSL, the NBA, the NFL, and other sports related topics. You can follow her on Twitter, @TheeMcKriger, and find her articles on Facebook by searching "Rachael McKriger: NFL/Soccer." McKriger can also be found on Facebook under McKriger Photography, a photography company she started in March of 2016.
I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.