“Because She Did, We Can”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal U chapter.

Women have not always had the right to vote. As we approach another election day in this country we must acknowledge the many women who fought for us to gain that right, and also the women who have since been fighting for equality among men and women. Because she fought for our rights, we can vote. Because she fought for our rights, we can now be present in the work force. Because she did, we can.

Susan B. Anthony was among many women fighting in the women’s suffrage movement to gain the right to vote. Along side of Elizabeth Cady Stanton in 1869, founded the National Women Suffrage Association. Anthony gave speeches across the nation, fighting tirelessly to convince others to join in the suffrage movement.

Sojourner Truth was a women’s rights activist who gave the “Ain’t I A Woman” speech at the 1851 Ohio Women’s Rights convention. Before that, she spend her life after escaping slavery advocating for other people who had been freed- even meeting with Abraham Lincoln during her period of relief work.

. ”

Abolitionist, suffragette, and women’s rights advocate Lucy Stone said in 1855 “It is very little to me to have the right to vote, to property, etcetera, if I may not keep my body, and it’s uses, in my absolute right.” She was the first woman in Massachusetts to earn her Bachelor’s degree and she worked closely with the American Anti-Slavery Association.

Rebecca Walker was named by Time Magazine as one of the most influential women of her generation. Rebecca was a major face of the third wave of feminism and wrote “Becoming the Third Wave” at the young age of 22 in which she defined the third wave as incorporating equality and female empowerment into every aspect of life.

There are so many inspiring feminists of today continuing the fight for equality and Malala Yousafzai is one of them. Malala is a young women from Pakistan who was targeted for her refusal to stop getting an education. She was named one of the 100 most influential people in 2013, 2014, and 2015 by Time Magazine. She advocates for human rights- specifically for young women to have the right to an education. We hope that you are inspired by Malala’s courage to stand for what is right when you evaluate our presidential candidates.

As we approach another presidential election, especially one where we may see the first female president, be mindful of those who fought for our rights! It is so important to know your rights & know our history. We encourage you to make an informed decision next Tuesday as you head to the polls. Follow in the footsteps of the great women that have come before us in the fight for our rights.

I am a undergraduate student, seeking a B.A. in English, concentrating in Journalism and Creativing Writing. I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U). I am the Social Media Officer for Alpha Lambda Delta. Additionally, I manage the social media for Cal U's Women's Studies Program where I am a work study student. I am a staff writer for the Cal Times and I also write frequently for Her Campus at Cal U. In the past, I have worked as a Social Media Consultant Intern with Someone To Tell It To, a non-profit organization based in Harrisburg, PA.