This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

The brilliant words by the late American fashion designer Bill Blass, “when in doubt, wear red,” are very appropriate for this Valentine’s Day weekend. Surely you will be seeing a parade of red everywhere you go—from gifts to apparel. Of course, not everyone likes to be fully clothed in red so we’ve got some alternatives for every kind of woman. 

The very typical article of clothing for Valentine’s Day is the red dress or LRD. Most women think they fall under the “I can pull off red” or “I can’t pull off red” categories. Let me tell you something: Everyone can pull off red! The secret lies on the shade of red you wear. To help you figure out the color of your dress, first you need to figure out the color of your complexion. There are warm skin tones, and cool skin tones. Women with warm skin tones have dominantly yellow or golden bases in their skin. An easy way to find out if you are of a warm skin tone is to look at your wrist and if the veins are mostly green, you have a warm skin tone. Women with cool skin tones have dominantly pink or beige bases in their skin. An easy way to find out if you are a cool skin tone is to look at your wrist and if the veins are mostly blue, you have a cool skin tone.

Now, for the type red: For warm skin tones try tomato red, deep red, or clear red—lighter and brighter. For cool skin tones use the blue reds, Burgundies, or true reds–darker and deeper.  Remember that if you are wearing a red dress it brings a lot of attention toward you so keep it simple and keep it classy. Red as is, is already seductive and sexy, so there is no need to show off more of your body than needed. Choose an area you like and show it off–the rest should remain hidden with the sexy red dress. 

Red dresses give off confidence and exuberance.  If you don’t feel comfortable you’ll only look awkward. For some women, comfort lies in less red and more personality. Skirts are feminine and help bring out the flirt in us, but most importantly give personality. You can either go for a plaid skirt if you are more preppy (and now a days even and edgy look), or try on a circle skirt for perkiness. If you want something a little trendier this Valentine’s Day go for the bodycon midi skirt and mix and match with the color of your top. For greater results, wear it with a relaxed white shirt and it’ll all be a pop of color no one will resist. Play with volume, length, and patterns to find what speaks to you this Valentine’s Day. 

If you are not much of a skirt kind of gal, rejoice because of trendy red pants! From palazzo pants to skinny jeans, there is a grand variety to choose from. If you want a more casual look this would be the perfect article of clothing to use. Beware, because red is so potent and if you wear pants that are too tight, every wrinkle will show in your pants unforgivingly. Make sure they fit just right and pair them up with killer sharp shoes. 

Another common garment in red is the top. There is a variety to choose from but make sure that if you are going to wear a red top the ensemble must be of the same type of red. Mixing and matching reds looks bad and is never figure forming. This season try the chiffon blouses for some movement in your outfit. 

Like the tops/shirts, a nicely tailored coat or blazer can bring a pop of color into your outfit. Follow the scheme of color according to your skin tone (warm and cook skin tones). Make sure that your outwear goes along with the attitude of the rest of your ensemble for a greater result.

“Less is more” is often said, and you can do exactly that by pairing up a chic outfit with some killer shoes as the only piece of red in your outfit. There is no doubt that red shoes are sexy, but make sure you can walk in the comfortably, fit you right, and give you the confidence that comes from this sexy footwear. The very simple closed toe pointed heel is perfect for any body type, but be careful with how you pair the color of your shoe with the rest of your outfit. If you are also wearing a red dress, make sure it is exactly the same color as your shoes or at least close enough. Also, make sure that when wearing a red shoe there is enough space to see some of your ankle or leg so it won’t look like a chopped up layer. 

Not everyone likes to wear red for Valentine’s Day. Here are a few accessories that are small but make just the right amount of statement – for those of us that like less attention – and just the right amount only. Hair clips like the red bows on a half up half down hairstyle goes great with casual outfits. A bold red lip can talk for itself, just as long as the rest of your makeup is subtle. Red socks can be fun and playful with casual outfits as well as red framed glasses. Belts and scarfs complete the look you aim for, and a statement necklace, simple clutch, or red hat does the trick for a sophisticated look. If you really want your one red item to really pop, be sure your outfit is in either black or white.

This Valentine’s Day, turn some heads by wearing your favorite piece of red and embrace the confidence it gives you as you strut your way to an exciting day. Make the color red the main attraction and consider your skin tone when choosing the shade of red to wear. Let the color do the talking because we all know the power of red does much more than dress us.

Roxana is a Senior at California State University, Los Angeles majoring in Fashion Merchandising and is in process of completing three other certificates: Retailing, Marketing, and Social Media. She is a fashion columnist for the campus newspaper, University Times, and is the former President of the Fashion Association of Design Students. As a fashion enthusiast, she follows countless numbers of blogs and magazines, loves food and cooking, dancing Latin music, and spending time with her family and friends.
Angeline is a dual major in Broadcast Journalism and Public Relations at California State University, Los Angeles. Being a Staff Reporter for The University Times, a writing tutor, and a Golden Eagle Radio Talk Show Host for the Her Campus inspired show: "Head Over Heels" are among the many things she is involved with on campus. She dreams of becoming a news reporter someday like Christiane Amanpour or Ann Curry but until then, documents her journalism journey on her blogs, "The Roaring 20's" and "On the Record," which you can find at angelinebernabe.wordpress.com. When she's not busy, she loves to paint, read, eat at all the hip L.A. spots, and try her hand at cooking new dishes.