Pablo De La Hoya: The Man Behind PDLH Photography

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

If you’re looking for someone that can work a camera, we’ve found the perfect guy! Pablo De La Hoya is a Television, Film and Media major and Communications minor that spends his free time taking awesome photos! He’s always on campus covering events for different clubs, organizations and departments while running his own side business, PDLH Photography. Some of his recent photography gigs include the COMM 150 Showcase Finals, The Union Project Dance Company, and StartUp Weekend! To see more of his work, check out his Instagram @pabsthephotographer or scroll down into the article where all the photos shown are his! 

How did you become interested in your major?

So I went to Bosco High School where we all have tech stuff and senior year was film related for my tech side of it. We had to come up with a short story idea and film it. A teacher noticed how hard I was working and recruited me and two other students to film a pedestrian safety video for the city of Rosemead. We did that and we got paid and it was awesome and ever since that I got interested in making more films and videos

What made you want to minor in Communications?

Joining the Speech and Debate team! It made me want to come back and coach and pay the team back for everything it has given me and done for me.

What extra curricular activities are you involved with on campus?

I am on the Speech and Debate team where I am Historian. I also help with the University Times writing articles and taking photos. I am also Historian for Golden Eagle Radio and a member of the Auto Club.

What do you do in Speech and Debate and what made you want to join?

I do Limited Preparation speaking and Platform speaking. Taking Comm 150 with sean (one of the coaches at the time) got me interested in joining. My friend in that class (Dorothy) made it to the showcase final, was recruited and brought me along to the meeting.

How do you handle the competition pressure for Speech and Debate?

As far as preparing myself for it, I drink chocolate milk and eat French toast because it’s the same thing, unlike the speech competition that is always changing, especially in Limited Prep.

What do you do in the Auto Club?

I mostly volunteer to take photos but now I’m getting into modifying my own car. We mostly meet and talk about cars and cruise together.

What kind of car do you have?

I drive a 2015 Mustang.

Do you have any cool facts about yourself?

I was on a paintball team playing semi-professionally for a very long time. I’m actually joining another team in Corona soon.

What do you want to do 5 years from now?

Writing as a journalist or helping in any way, shape or form with the development of documentaries!

How did you become interested in photography?

Photography started pretty young. In second grade we had a day that we could bring disposable cameras and take photos. When I had them printed out I thought they were really cool. I wanted to do it as a hobby and kept buying disposables.

Would you ever peruse photography as a career?

If the opportunity presents itself, it’s a half hobby half job right now.

What the coolest thing you ever got to shoot?

I freelanced myself into shooting a protest in Downtown LA. It was right before the mike brown verdict and there was one photo that I took that I felt like I represented what everyone was there for.

What’s your favorite thing to take pictures of?

I like doing event photography because I like capturing moments. But don’t email me for a wedding.  

How can people contact you for photos?

Through my website, www.pdlhphotography.com! I have a contact me section or through my email which is pdlhphotography@yahoo.com.

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez