NERVE: Most Daring with Yasmeen Solano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

The new film, NERVE, has just been released in theaters. NERVE is about Vee (Emma Roberts) challenging herself to do something out of the norm from her daily life. Until she finds herself immersed in an online game of truth or dare, where her every move starts to become manipulated by an anonymous community of “watchers.”

Yasmeen Solano, student at CalStateLA, dared herself to do something new and exciting over her summer. Here is her story:

Recently, I went to the gun range with Josiah Mitchell a.k.a. my pledge bro from sigma Nu. He’s an ex marine and I thought “Hey let’s do something cool. Let’s go to the gun range.” I thought no big deal I see people always post shooting huge guns. Shouldn’t be as scary. I’ve shot by guns that look like real guns but I’ve never really came in contact with a real one with bullets in it.

As we arrived to the gun range, I was excited. I felt like a total bad ass actually. He had done this before so he showed me the different type of guns and he went with a handgun. As we walked towards the windows my hands started to sweat. I went to go wash them. After, we put on our head gear and entered the range. There were people of all ages shooting guns.

The first shot I heard, I flinched. The second shot I heard, I flinched. I had never witnessed a gun being shot so looking at the spark come out of the gun literally had me walking by hugging myself. Josiah set everything up and wanted me to shoot my first shot. I was terrified. I played it off like he can go first. He shot about ten rounds and I was convinced; “Nope not going do it!”  He set up the gun with one bullet and told me it was no big deal. He comforted me and said nothing would go wrong. I grabbed the gun and positioned my arms as he said. And when it was time to pull the trigger I could not. 

I was literally trying to convince him if just watch him shoot I would be fine. He persuaded me to do it and he’d help. So the third time, I attempted to hold the gun as he told me just pull the trigger. I literally said “1,2,3 f*ck it.” I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger.

After that I was like “This isn’t so bad.” I enjoyed it! Within two minutes I was loading the gun, shooting three rounds, unloading the gun, reloading, and shooting. I totally felt like a badass! Except for when someone walked in with a rifle. At that point I was out. I definitely had never been so scared and faced my fear. Totally glad I did!

Nerve in theaters now!

Kammile Whitener

Cal State LA '18

Film and Business Enthusiast. Love the best of both worlds.