Getting into college was a huge accomplishment for me, and being able to live on campus makes me feel ten times more grateful. I knew that I would be living with roommates. However, I did not think that it would be as challenging to maintain a peaceful living environment as it is now! As it turns out, I ended up living in the phase of the dorms that consists of four room apartments. Four rooms means two people in each room, which ultimately leads to living in an eight people apartment. I was utterly shocked because I imagined living in a dorm with only two or three others besides myself…not seven!
Despite my anguish, I decided that it couldn’t be too bad as long as I got along well with my roommates. Unfortunately things do not always go as planned and as of now, I am not very compatible with most of my roommates. So on that note, I will give you some tips on coping with the people who live under the same roof as you.
- First, be honest with them about your likes and your dislikes. Don’t try be someone you are not in order to fit in with them; just be yourself!
- Second, make sure you set some ground rules on personal space and belongings. You don’t want to be worried about whether or not someone is using your kitchen or bath supplies without your consent.
- Third, if something doesn’t feel right, or your roommates are giving you a hard time about something…confront them! It may seem scary at first, but you have to let them know that you are a strong person who deserves to be treated well.
- Fourth, make sure to clean up after yourself. You want to avoid your roommates complaining about you or getting angry about dirty dishes in the sink.
- Fifth, if you don’t see eye-to-eye…it’s not the end of the world! I know it is ideal to become best friends with your roommates, but it doesn’t always work out that way. Just keep your head up and try to make friends outside your apartment.
On that note, I hope that you enjoy living on campus because despite the difficulties of sharing space with others. It is an extremely fun time in your life that you will never forget. Living on campus, away from home gives us an opportunity to explore our likes, dislikes, and form new friendships on our own. Meanwhile, living with roommates will teach you a lot about yourself and others. Remember, keep your head up and make the best of what you have!