How Your Roommates Will Impact Your Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Whether you live in a dorm, an apartment or a house off-campus, chances are you will be living with roommates throughout your college career. These people can either make or break that “home-away-from-home” feeling, so it’s important to choose wisely. Roomates can have very different relationships. Some are best friends, others are good friends. Some act like sisters and others act like acquantances. Regardless of your relationship, the people you choose to live with will inevitably impact your life. Here are some ways your roommate will benefit your year:

They will bring out the best in you.

Stop being basic and expand your horizons.  Be optimistic when your roommate is asking you to go out and explore the area instead of sitting inside on a beautiful day. There’s nothing wrong with doing things you don’t normally do. They will push you to be the best version of yourself and you should let them.

It’s always a no judgment zone.

Ask dumb questions, stroll around in your underwear, share inappropriate thoughts, be yourself, make mistakes and enjoy the little things. You both will appreciate this while you soak in the weirdness. Even if you two are the only ones laughing, all that matters is that you both just get it. There’s nothing better than feeling 110% accepted by one another. 

You now have two (or more) closets.

If you and your roommate have a mutual agreement about clothes, you have twice as many options that will save you stress and time. Make sure you thank your roommate after she goes shopping because there’s nothing better than finding the shirt that matches perfectly for your desired look. 

You’ll never catch a case of “FOMO” when choosing to skip a night out.

Everybody wants a quiet Netflix binge, relaxation and comfort after a long day of monotone lectures and rushing between classes. What’s better than being with your roommate and sharing those OMG moments during an episode of One Tree Hill?

They become your very own personal therapist. 

Why hide your feelings? Don’t be afraid to let it out to your roommate. They will give you honest guidance and be that support system you need. 

You have a built-in meal buddy.

Nobody wants to eat alone. Whenever you’re hungry, chances are your roomie will go to the drive through and binge eat just as many french fries as you do.

Being honest will create an understanding environment. 

By living with each other every day, you are bound to have moments where you learn about your roommate’s likes and dislikes. Being open about everything with them will avoid unnecessary drama. Things will run smoothly and your friendship will grow stronger. 

Your roommate is basically a hero.

They will always be the “plus one” you drag to a party you do not want to attend. Although you both have the same friend group, you and your roommate agree upon secret codes to get you out of awkward, scary or not-so-hot situations that are just waiting to happen. Everyone needs that lifeline and excuse to avoid bad timing, so lucky you; your roommate is there to save the day.

You always come home to a smile and huge hug.

Any time you two see each other it’s like you haven’t seen each other in years. Talk about feeling loved!

You gain a friendship that will last a lifetime.

You will enjoy the ride of growing and learning with your roommate no matter what the lesson is. In the midst of changing seasons, you’ll realize that the memories you share are unforgettable. Soon, you’ll decide that you’re going to keep your roommate around for the next year of school as well. There is nobody else you would rather face college with. 

Now, go give your roomie some loving. She deserves it.

I'm willing to make anybody smile. I write to show how I chase happiness, contain & maintain positivity, express love and thought, and pursue strength and stability.
Sabrina is a senior at URI studying public relations. She is originally from MA but has found a home in the Ocean State. A peer mentor, sister of Kappa Delta sorority, and HC Campus Correspondent at URI, she loves being involved on campus. If she could describe herself in a few words, she would say she's a driven individual with a huge heart who's obsessed with all things fashion, music, and adventurous.