My First Time: Being in a Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Lights, cameras, action! If you would have told me last quarter that only after a few months of living in Los Angeles I would be in a music video, I probably would have called you crazy. The thing is, some of the most amazing experiences occur when you least expect them. On the week of my 18th birthday in December, I was messaged by Jessica Lowndes, singer, and actress from 90210. I have been a fan of hers for a while, and she had messaged me to invite me to be a part of her music video.

Probably the best part of the shoot was the location. I can’t give away ALL of the details, but I will tell you that it took place in a gorgeous penthouse in Hollywood. Right when I arrived, Jessica greeted me as if we were old friends, and I automatically felt comfortable around her: she sounds just like her character, “Adrianna”, from 90210. One of the main scenes was a party scene by the pool. I had to pass a beach ball back and forth with someone and act like I was having the time of my life  I really did not have to act much because it really was fun). There is another scene where I am mingling with a group of people and laughing like I had just heard the greatest joke in the entire world.

Something else that struck me was how kind and humble everyone around me was. Jessica lent me one of her dresses and the film director even lent me his jacket when he noticed that I was freezing. Little things like that made the experience very memorable for me. Jessica even ordered pizza for everyone and gave out snacks. Another thing about music video shoots like these is that you are surrounded by many talented people: videographers, directors, actors, etc. I was able to meet some very inspirational people and one great actor who is actually featured in the video (can’t give away his identity…sorry!)

I am really excited to see the final music video, which by the way, comes out within the next few weeks! Being a part of this video and meeting so many new people, really inspired me to get involved in more projects as an extra or even work behind the scenes. There are opportunities everywhere. As college students we sometimes forget about the importance of exploring the world around us, because we are so focused on getting that homework done, passing that test, and getting that grade. However, it is also important to discover who you are by being a part of activities and projects outside of school. This may sound cliche, but life is short! Get out there and show the world what you’ve got. Most importantly, never underestimate your ability to go far in life and always do what makes you happy…and that’s a wrap!

Lover of reading, writing, and taking photographs. First year student at Cal State LA majoring in Television and Film Studies with an emphasis on Broadcast Journalism. 
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez