How to Get that Throwback 70s and 90s Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

October has arrived which means fall fashion has been underway, despite the Los Angeles weather telling us otherwise. This year’s fashion trends have been heavily inspired by fashion in the 70s and 90s. Here are five clothing pieces every girl needs in order to bring the past back into their closet. 

1. Lace Up V-Necklines 

Lace up v-neck shirts give your regular everyday long sleeved shirt a little more spice.  Showing a bit more skin, this shirt (or bodysuit) will spice up any look.

Tip: Pair with some high waisted jean shorts and boots.

2. Suede (everything) 

Suede is the type of material that just screams “throwback” and “fall” whenever you put it on.

Tip: With suede dresses to jackets to skirts, this material is extremely easy to match if you want to dress up or down. 

3. Over the Knee Boots 

Over the knee boots can make many outfits more edgy and stylish.

Tip: Combining this with the last trend, suede over the knee boots are an important fall staple. 

4. Mini Skirts 

A staple in the 90s, mini skirts are a must have for fall when you live in Los Angeles.

Tip: Pair with an oversized turtleneck sweater and some over the knee boots.

5. Denim Flares 

Yes, denim flares ARE back. Pay homage to your favorite 70s character Penny Lane by rocking this trend.

Tip: Pair with a lace up v-neck or even a fur lined suede jacket, just like Penny wore in Almost Famous.

Christine Tran

Cal State LA

After taking four different MBTI tests, Christine is the definition of someone who is half ENFJ and ESFP (she got two for each type). With that being said, this clearly explains her major in Communications at Cal State LA. With a love for fashion and music, she's the type of person who will post #ootds and pictures of every concert she's at on her Instagram. Along with that, Christine has a horrible addiction with cupcakes and tattoos which will eventually be the death of her unless her parents figure out she already has more than one tattoo first.... Find out what she's up to by following her Instagram @christineetran
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez