Getting Through College with Food Limitations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Starting college is hard. Finding your classes, meeting teachers, buying textbooks, and finding time to eat can be very stressful. But you know what is even more stressful? Starting college with food allergies/diet preferences and not knowing what foods are available for you!

Most of you are well-aware of the diets that are currently trending such as vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. Many people transition to these diets without really knowing why, or how they will benefit from them. Others, have had to transition to these diets due to health issues. Regardless of whether you are trying it out for fun, or certain foods are actually a hazard to your immune system, there are ways to get through college without starving or feeling like you are not being offered the “right foods”.

First, let’s start off with the gluten-free diet; gluten is a substance found in any type of flour. Therefore, those who are allergic, cannot consume bread, cookies, brownies, cakes, and chips…unless they are marked gluten-free. However, the Cal State LA campus offers quite a few gluten-free goodies! At the bookstore there are many food products marked with the “gluten free” sign that you will find to be extremely practical and filling. Some yummy snacks are the gluten-free avocado oil chips, and the vegan macaroons. As for the cafeteria and the food court, you can always find places that suit your diet. You can stop by “El Pollo Loco” or “Kikka Sushi” because there is no bread involved, or cheese, unless you ask for some.

If you are vegan, you can order simple plates of rice, beans, and steamed veggies at either of these places. If you are on the Housing meal plan and you eat at the cafeteria, it is a good idea to consult the chef and the manager to talk about your diet preferences; they will accommodate to your needs in the best way possible. Most importantly…bring some snacks from home! You can never go wrong with products that you trust and have bought before.

Although college may not seem like a welcoming place for people with food limitations, there are many options and products that can help us get through our busy days!

Lover of reading, writing, and taking photographs. First year student at Cal State LA majoring in Television and Film Studies with an emphasis on Broadcast Journalism. 
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez