neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Follower Detox: Taking Control on Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

It seems that social media has consumed our lives. We post a photo that took multiple attempts to get just the right angle, and patiently wait for that notification that shows who liked your latest post.

Recently, I looked at the number of people who I follow and those who follow me. People I have not spoken to in years,  that I went to high school with, people I have met once or twice. As I browsed my feed I thought to myself, “Why do I follow these people, they aren’t relevant to my life”. It was then I decided to do what I decided to call a, “follower detox”. I went on all my social media and deleted people that no longer had a place in my life. I have to admit it felt good to delete the people who I frankly did not care about anymore. I came to the decision to not care about how many people follow me or how many likes my posts receive.

What matters is that I feel confident and happy with my posts. I feel better about myself now,  more at peace with who I am and who I want to become. So, for those who are struggling internally with self image, I encourage you go on a “follower detox”, you may be surprised at how much happier you can feel.

Monica Tamayo

Cal State LA

Just a TVF-Broadcasting major trying to make it in Los Angeles.  Lover of Target, boba milk tea and memes
Kammile Whitener

Cal State LA '18

Film and Business Enthusiast. Love the best of both worlds.