This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Halloween is the time of year where everyone gets to be anyone they want. However, we can’t forget decorating the most important thing: the house. As students, it can be tough to put up any decoration without breaking the bank. Here are some great Halloween decoration ideas that are great for both indoors and outdoors. With these decorations, it’ll make your friends scream.

Here are some indoor decorations:

Bloody Handprint

Nothing says horrify than a bloody handprint. These handprints will have anyone screaming like in a horror film. You can stick these prints in your windows (warn people that it’s a fake handprint) or mirror. Especially, in your bathroom mirror. To make these handprints yourself all you is your hand, glue, and red food coloring. First, mix glue and the red food coloring. Then once it’s mixed, place your hand into the glue and start planting your very own bloody handprints.

Head in a Jar

Halloween isn’t scary without having a head in a jar. This decoration will have your friends running and screaming their lungs out. You can place this jar anywhere that would give anyone the fright of their lives. All you’ll need is a big jar, water, and a picture of a head or your own head. First, take a picture of your head and laminate it. Second, place the laminated picture into the jar and fill it with water. Place it in your kitchen or anyplace in the living room that your friends will see it. If you want more, asks your friends if you can borrow their heads. For a more instructions click here.

Creepy Family Portraits 

Ever thought of having a creepy family for Halloween? You can have a creepy family by making a portrait that makes them ghostly. All you’ll need is a copy of old black-and-white family pictures or you can print an old black-and-white picture available in the internet. Once you found a picture, get a black picture frame, and then cut small holes into the eyes of the picture. After that, place small red lights into the eyes. And poof, a creepy family portrait! These family portraits will make for an interesting conversation or it can cause a scream. For a more detail instructions click here.

Now that some indoor Halloween decorating has been covered, it’s time for some outdoor Hallowing decorating.

Zombies

Zombies has become popular that everyone is craving for them, so how about some zombies for Halloween? These zombies’ decorations can either be on the ground of the front and back yard or on a pot for plants. First, all you’re going to need is body parts: arm, hands, finger, head, or half a body. Second, dig a small ditch to plant the body parts, and then let the zombies do the rest for you. For detailed instructions click here for the zombies in a pot of plant which you can use for the front and back yard.

Glowing Eyes

Want to get those glowing eyes and make people feel like they are being watched? Simple, toilet paper rolls. These left over rolls can be great for decorating your bushes, tress, and shrouds. All you need is four (or more however you like), marker, scissors, and glow sticks. First, draw some scary eyes into the rolls. Second, cut out the eyes. Third, pick a glow stick color that would make your eyes spooking. And finally, place your eyes into a bush where your friends and guest can get scare.

Hope these Halloween decorations will scare the living soul out of them! Happy Halloween.

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez