This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

New York Fashion Week just ended, and London Fashion week has begun. With fashion being such a huge topic this month and next month, it is important to keep on check with what it all really is. We know that New York has lovely shows set up, but do we know what the fashion capitals of the world are? Do we know what each capital is known for? In the face of innovating revolution in anything and everything, fashion is not left behind. Let’s take a look at some of the world leading cities in fashion a little closer.

New York City

NYC, without a doubt, is number 1 in fashion capitals. Did you second guess that? Don’t. Although most would think Paris to be at the top, consider the following: New York City is the start of Fashion Week, home of Sex and the City, and amazing designers. The true beauty in this is that NYC isn’t the land of Houte Couture and super fancy fashion (although its fashion is expensive but that is a given); NYC is the land of ready to wear. The clothes are wearable, so they sell more, and the point of innovation and evolution in fashion is fantastic. You don’t even have to go to a runway show to see the explosion of fashion in this city-the sidewalks do the talking.

Paris

With only half a percent below, Paris takes second place as the top fashion capital of the world. This is the city that pops into our head and hearts when we speak of fashion. It’s no surprise, being the home of Chanel, Saint Laurent, and Christian Dior. The city of love is the perfect place to indulge in some serious shopping, as well as surrounding yourself in inspiration and history. A fashionista’s dream come true is the land of the houte couture, Paris.

London

If I didn’t know any better I’d say this is the land of the fashion models, but London has a very distinct and unique fashion. Side by side with NYC, London has a lot of young and innovative designers. Among its very large population you could see street style as the fabulous find in this city. This is a wonderful place to settle and make a blog; you’ll find interesting fashion all throughout the city, but if you are a little old school—shopping at Burberry in London will be an unforgettable one.

Milan

Finally, we have Milan here in fourth…although technically LA is the one that reached fourth last year. Many consider Milan to be a city of fashion that you simply cannot leave out. It is best known for its textiles and its shoemaking. Home of Armani, Versace, and Prada, this city is another to go for shopping. The most creative of all cities is this one, you could see it in the prints, you could see it in design, and you could see it everywhere else in the city (or country of Italy as it is).

Roxana is a Senior at California State University, Los Angeles majoring in Fashion Merchandising and is in process of completing three other certificates: Retailing, Marketing, and Social Media. She is a fashion columnist for the campus newspaper, University Times, and is the former President of the Fashion Association of Design Students. As a fashion enthusiast, she follows countless numbers of blogs and magazines, loves food and cooking, dancing Latin music, and spending time with her family and friends.
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez