Dos and Don’ts of Rushing a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! And we’re not talking about pumpkin spiced everything popping out of the shelves everywhere; we’re talking about all out recruitment season! Starting the new school year doesn’t only mean new classes and new books because it’s also the beginning of recruitment! You may have seen a few shows and movies all about sorority, so if you thought of joining one to see what all the fuss is about or to have that maximum college experience, here’s a few things to help you out while you’re going through the process!

Dos:

1. Have an open mind. You think you’ve done your research; after all, it’s one of the most important decisions you’ll make in your undergraduate career, but go through recruitment rounds with an open mind! Try to meet as many sisters of the sorority as you can and you will be surprised how different actual conversations are from online research.

2. Be you, be true. Remember that you are trying to find your forever home so be yourself! Don’t act or pretend like someone you’re not because at the end of the day, finding the sorority where you are the most comfortable in is what matters the most.

3. Meet your future sisters. Make friends with other PNMs like you! There will be a lot of down time when you’re waiting for a recruitment event to start so try to make it fun and get to know the girls waiting with you. You’re both sharing the same journey and it’s nice to have companions like that. You’ll never know, they might be your future sisters

Don’ts:

1. Don’t be nervous. We get it, it’s nerve wrecking to put yourself out there and go through recruitment, but try to calm your nerves as much as possible so you’ll be able to focus on what is happening in the moment. Also a little hint, the sorority women are nervous about meeting you too!

2. Don’t mention parties or alcohol. Partying is a part of the college experience and everyone knows that so there is no need to mention it. Sororities look for new members who exemplify their values and parties nor alcohol ain’t a part of it.

3. Don’t give off a bad vibe. Sometimes you may be so tired or feel sick that you can’t even put a smile on your face and sometimes you may not like the person you’re talking to, but don’t give off a bad vibe or be that one girl who is so hard to talk to. Trust us, is a big NO and it will just give you a bad name.

Faith Gabriel

Cal State LA

Faith Gabriel is a sophomore at Cal State LA majoring in Biology while completing pre-medical courses. Her career goal is to be an amazing Pediatrics Orthopedic Surgeon. She's also a part of Delta Zeta Sorority, Theta Rho chapter and is serving in CSULA Panhellenic Council. When she's not busy with school work and Greek Life activities, she enjoys reading fiction (mostly Young Adult), as well as watching Neflix, blogging about books on Tumblr, and sleeping in. Obviously, she loves the color blue; you can tell just by looking at her hair, or her laptop, or just at her phone case really.
Kammile Whitener

Cal State LA '18

Film and Business Enthusiast. Love the best of both worlds.