Cynthia Alvarez: College of Business and Economics Representative for A.S.I.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Cynthia Alvarez is perhaps one of the most involved people one will ever meet; we would need a whole special edition just to list it all. But above her endless commitment to the students and organizations, is a genuine heart and soul along for the ride that is college and Cal State LA. She has fully embraced the college experience and has set out to reach others and share with them what a great opportunity it is to get involved and be active at our University. Cynthia took some time to talk to Her Campus Cal State LA and share with us some of her Cal State LA story and what comes next after her upcoming graduation in spring.

What sparked your interest in Cal State LA?

What I love most about Cal State LA is the diversity of people. I think Cal State LA is an amazing university; each individual has a unique story that somehow brought him or her to attend our University.  Many of my friends really value the opportunity to be a part of Cal State LA since they are the first in their family to receive a higher education. I had some friends who cried last year at graduation because they knew what they did will not only change the course of their lives, but also change the rest of their families’ lives.

The second thing that I love most about Cal State LA is its culture. There are always different events on campus that focus specifically on embracing different cultures.  This gives students the opportunity get in touch with their own culture and to also understand the customs of other cultures. I think this is very important, since we live in Los Angeles, a city that is filled with diversity. 

How did you go about picking a major?

It was not difficult for me to pick my major; business has always been something that I have been interested in. The most difficult part about “picking my major” was choosing which concentration I wanted to focus on. I had initially started Cal State LA with a concentration in Accounting, but once I had an internship and realized how dreadful it was, I decided to change my major and focus on something that I would enjoy learning and doing instead. I chose to concentrate in management because I love how it focuses on building the skills of people. I enjoy learning the best managing practices, while at the same time learning on how I can strengthen my skills as an individual. It really helped me zone into my own skills because now I know I want to focus on pursuing a career in marketing management, but that’s a whole another story.

What are some of the things that you’re involved on campus?

I’ve been involved in many organizations on campus. Currently, I am involved in Associated Students, Inc. (A.S.I.) as the Business & Economics Representative. I am also the Chair of the University-Student Union Board of Directors and I help the Student Union implement new policy that will benefit the students, staff, and alumni. I am also part of the Environmental Policy Committee, focusing on implementing sustainable policy in A.S.I., as well as thinking of creative ways to share with students on how to be more sustainable with their every day lives. Being involved on campus has really opened a lot of doors and opportunities for me and I have built a lot of relationships with students and staff. I feel like I have a network of individuals that I can reach out for advice and career guidance. I have been involved in so many things on campus that I can’t really list them all in one page, but the best thing I can say about being involved is that I am grateful.  I have been able to get the opportunity to work with some amazing people and I can say that I have fully embraced the Cal State LA experience.

What do you do as the Representative of the College of B&E?

As the representative for the College of Business and Economics, I represent the students of the B&E College University wide in meetings with University officials and events on campus. I also gather information from students and present that information to University officials so change can be implemented in the college. My goals as College of Business and Economics Representative are to create a better ambience in the college and get students pumped and spirited about attending Cal State LA. I am going to achieve that goal by helping student organizations have all the resources that they need to be successful. I got involved on campus when I first attended Cal State LA through a student organization. If we can reach more students through student organizations, we can make a bigger impact on their experience at Cal State LA.

Where you always interested in A.S.I.? Or in leadership roles in general?

I have always been interested in being part of A.S.I. In high school I was part of ASB and wanted to continue that involvement while I attended college. I’ve always been interested in leadership roles because often times these roles offer opportunities and experiences that are very valuable to develop as an individual and as a part of something bigger than yourself.

A lot of the times students don’t take advantage of these opportunities when they are literately in front them, just waiting for a student to embrace them. And that is something every student should do, take advantage of opportunities and experiences that Cal State LA. 

Do you have any advice for Cal State LA students who are hesitant to get involved?

College is what you make of it; take advantage of as many opportunities available for you. Get out of your comfort zone! Nothing that I have ever done has been easy or handed to me, I’ve worked really hard, did things that were out of comfort zone. I have been afraid, nervous, and anxious, but I knew that at the end of the day all these actions were going to help me achieve my goals.

If you could give advice to a freshman what would it be?

Enjoy life, challenge the status quote, get out of your comfort zone, and have fun throughout it all!

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez