Brian Young: Campus Tour Coordinator & Aspiring Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Name: Brian young

Major: Communication Studies Major

Year: Senior year

Hometown: Apple Valley, California

3 words to describe yourself: Warm, Melancholic, and Dreamy

Are you involved on campus?

I work on campus. (As Campus Tour Coordinator)

How did you get the position?

I applied my freshman year to the career center for a position in admissions and later that year they offered me a position as a campus tour guide and I took it and I have been a campus tour guide ever since. And now I am the Campus Tour Coordinator, so I am in charge of all of the tours that happen here on campus as well as all of the tour guides here on campus.

Favorite place in LA?

My favorite place in Los Angeles is probably where I live in South Pasadena.

Why Cal State LA?

Well I think it chose me. Just kidding. Well because I thought it was pretty awesome to study in an urban setting. And one of the most diverse cities in the entire world. I thought it would be a really awesome opportunity and it has been.That’s kind of why I chose it and I didn’t have to sell an arm and a leg to get an education.

Can you Describe your internship?

I work for a Music Executive in Beverly Hills and I am able to get a better look at the Music Industry and the behind the scenes on working with different musicians and working with different Labels and get that perspective on the environment. I learn what it takes to be successful in the industry.

What do you hope in getting out of your internship?

I plan to get a record deal. Just Kidding. I plan to meet people that help me thrive and help me build who I am through networking.

What is your favorite music genre?

It has to be … Dream pop. Dream pop is something that allows you to feel and transcend into another mood and there is a lot of depth into it.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I see myself making works of art an working with people who inspire me.

If you where to listen to a song for the rest of your life what would it be?

It would be “Born To Die” by Lana Del Rey.

What your relationship status?

Single.

What is your dream date?

My dream date would be going to a coffee shop and talking about life and art and movies and going to the beach after. And maybe having another cup of coffee.

If you have to describe a crazy life experience what would it be?

I think landing my internship now is kind of crazy and was a shock. It felt out of nowhere and I am fortunate for that. It has been a good ride so far

Why did you choose that particular field of industry (music)?

Almost everybody, well mostly artists and musicians have a message they want to display and these artist display these messages effectively and as emotionally as possible.

Music impacts people just as other forms of art, such as film, and that has always been the most inspiring to me and another form of expression that I want to pursue.

Daily routine?

Waking up. Drinking coffee from my coffee machine. Going to classes after going to work then going home maybe stopping at Chipotle. Reading until 12am and then watching interviews of people that interest me on Youtube.

Dream job?

A writer for musicians or artists. Maybe work on different stories.

How do you plan on achieving that goal?

I plan to stay true to what I know is right. Staying true to my own intuition and not pursuing self doubt. Staying confident, and working as hard as I can. There is nothing more to life then doing what you love to do and I’m not going to let anyone decide that for me.

Who is your role model?

Very cliche but my mom because she taught me that no matter what it is it’s always better to be kind and have an open heart.

Biggest fear when pursuing your dream?

My biggest fear is to not believe in myself and hinder my growth both in my personal life and in the workplace. It starts in believing yourself and I think a lot of people don’t believe in themselves and that definitely limits them in life.

What is the most difficult thing that you have overcame?

I think it was academically in Spring Quarter, during finals week, when I had to do 4 research papers (10 pages each) and it wasn’t like it was totally difficult but I just needed time management. I learned a lot from working under pressure.

Sup, My name is Matthew and I guess I am apart of this. I have my own account so yea check me out.    
Kammile Whitener

Cal State LA '18

Film and Business Enthusiast. Love the best of both worlds.