Bands to see in L.A. this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Some people associated winter with being sad, dreary and cold. Well, it doesn’t have to be! Check out these great bands to see during the winter quarter that will surely lighten your mood!

Jan 30 – Sam Smith & George Ezra – The Forum

You can’t deny it; 2014 was the year of Sam Smith. This 22-year-old singer has been making waves with his emotional debut album In the Lonely Hour. Don’t miss your chance to see him perform at the huge Forum! Another plus is his opening act, fellow UK performer George Ezra and his somewhat folky sound! 

Lay Me Down by Sam Smith

Budapest by George Ezra

Jan 31 – Kishi Bashi String Quartet – Luckman Fine Arts Complex

Fan of Jupiter One, of Montreal or Regina Spektor? Then you have to check out the one person that brings them all together: Kishi Bashi. This multi-instrumentalist has toured with all of the above before creating his own album. Tall Tall Trees and a string quartet will accompany his performance at Cal State LA’s Luckamn Fine Arts Complex!

Carry on Phenomenon by Kishi Bashi

February 25 – Flight Facilities – Fonda Theatre

It seems like everyone has been jamming to this electropop duo in the last few months! Australians Flight Facilities know how to bring the beat while working with awesome artists like Reggie Watts and Kylie Minogue. I can’t say this enough, but the Fonda is one of the best venues in LA and will encourage a fun, relaxed atmosphere for the show.

Crave You by Flight Facilities

March 5 – Broods – Fonda Theatre

Fans of Lorde, this band is for you! Siblings Caleb and Georgia Nott work together to form Broods, an indie band from Lorde’s producer Joel Little. Their debut album Evergreen is filled with personal and intimate lyrics along with killer beats. Don’t believe they are on the road to greatness? They’ve been touring through 2014 with names like Ellie Goulding, Haim, and Sam Smith.

Mother and Father by Broods

March 12 – Walk the Moon – Hollywood Palladium  

This band is back in the game with their second album, Talking is Hard and ready to party! Walk the Moon brings the dance anthems you need to leave behind your winter quarter and get your spring break started. Make sure to wear your face paint, a tradition for WTM live performances.

Avalanche by Walk the Moon 

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez