After the Hype: Watching “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

On Dec. 18 2015, Star Wars: The Force Awakens opened nationwide. Both young and old couldn’t wait for the movie to be released; they bought their tickets early online, even camped outside of theaters to be the first ones to see it. Many of these fans grew up watching the previous films and now a new generation had the chance to experience the phenomena of Star Wars.

While fans have already watched The Force Awakens and are probably watching it again and again, there are still some people who haven’t seen the film.

You would think everyone would want to see the movie right away, but there are some who haven’t watched it yet for a number of reasons. Maybe they aren’t interested in watching the film or people couldn’t see it during opening week or just couldn’t watch it during the holiday season. No matter the reason, you may know some friends or family who haven’t seen the movie as of yet, but you hope they’ll like it once they see it. This week, the chance has arrived to watch The Force Awakens after the holiday hype.

Coming from someone who has watched pervious Star Wars films (A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi) as well as the prequels, you wouldn’t think it’s ever a good idea to resurrect a franchise because of the prequels. But after watching the film, The Force Awakens turned out to be good. ‘Good’ might not be the best word to describe it; one can say its was ‘awesome’ or ‘amazing’ or ‘fantastic’ but no other words can describe how much fun it was to watch it. The story is basically its own story with new characters that isn’t a complete retelling of the past movies. The scenes were terrific and funny, and the best parts are the fighting scenes between the Resistance and the First Order.

The Force Awakens doesn’t try stack it self with the other pervious films. It has its own storytelling that makes you want to continue the story and want to know more about the characters Ray, Finn, Poe, and Kylo Ren. It doesn’t matter whether or not you saw the all six Star Wars films to enjoy this film. Coming from someone who waited this long to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens, it’s worth the wait. 

Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez