7 things I learned after attending my first rave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Insomniac’s Escape: Psycho Circus is less than a month away.  Since 2011 this Halloween rave has had impressive lineups in the past, including, YellowClaw, The Chainsmokers, DJ Snake, and Martin Garrix. This year the lineup will include Zedd, Don Diablo, DJ Snake Flosstradamus and Marshmello. For many, this 2 day festival will be the very first rave for hundreds of people. 

Many will expect to have an experience like what is shown in the promotional videos, although that may be true, there are other things that people don’t talk about much when attending an event like this. Here is what I learned at my first rave. 

1. Escape your comfort zone

This is one of the few times where you can truly let your “freak flag fly”. Go on, be free!

2. Not everyone is like they appear in the promo videos 

Although Insomniac’s motto is “all are welcome” there are a few people at the event who will honestly be terrible people. But don’t let the few bad seeds ruin your good vibes

3. Making new friends

Speaking of good vibes, you will end up dancing the night away with random strangers and that’s okay, who doesn’t like new friends?

4. Less is better 

if you notice, event attendees are hardly wearing any clothes, although it can look risqué and maybe even uncomfortable by the end after dancing all night you will realize that maybe wearing just a bodysuit wasn’t such a bad idea after all. 

5. Dehydration is REAL

I wish someone told me before my first rave how dehydrated you can get. Water is liquid gold. If you do not drink it, YOU WILL end up in the medical tent or worse. If possible, invest in a hydration pack, they can go from $20 to even up to 70$. Most packs hold up to 2 liters and are lightweight. 

6. That ticket is expensive, and so is the food

I recommend having a full meal before going into the event and if hungry later grab something to snack on. A side of french fries can cost you up to $10. 

7. Parking Nightmare 

Its all good vibes until the event is over and people are fighting to get out of the parking lot, if possible spend an extra $30 and purchase a shuttle pass that takes you to and from the festival. 

Monica Tamayo

Cal State LA

Just a TVF-Broadcasting major trying to make it in Los Angeles.  Lover of Target, boba milk tea and memes
Kammile Whitener

Cal State LA '18

Film and Business Enthusiast. Love the best of both worlds.