5 Women That Have Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Laaaadies, it is officially National Women’s History Month! Did you know, this month of celebration originally was only for a week when it was first passed by Congress in 1981? However, in 1987, the National Women’s History Project decided to petition and got Congress to designate the month of March as “Women’s History Month”. This means that throughout March, we get to put some extra emphasis to why girls truly run the world. With that, here are five ladies I’ve encountered that have changed my life.

1. Beyoncé

If you weren’t aware of it yet, my love for Beyoncé is a pretty solid one. Although she has always been my favorite even back in the Destiny Child’s era, Beyoncé has been one of my biggest influences during the time where I transitioned from a teen to my twenties.

2. Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung has always been one of my goals in life. One of my favorite things about her is that she was able to branch out and be successful in other things besides her modeling career, rightfully owning her nickname, the ‘it’ girl. Along with that, it’s awesome seeing someone who is Chinese (ok half) do so well in an industry I love so much.

3. Sophia Amoruso

Sophia Amoruso aka founder of Nasty Gal is the ultimate girl boss. As someone who has been a fan of her store since 2010, watching her company grow into this million-dollar company was surreal. She is someone I look up to for inspiration when it comes to ‘making it’ in society.

4. The Ladies in Sex in the City

Ok, I might be a little late to the game but I’ve recently started to watch Sex in the City. Although I’m casually seventeen years late, I don’t think there could’ve been a more perfect time to start watching this series as I begin my 20s. When watching these four best friends map through life together, you can’t help but see a little bit yourself in each one of them.

5. My Best Friend

Lastly, I thought it would be perfect to transition from four on screen best friends who changed my life to my own real life best friend. Dana has been my best friend since elementary school ,which means this friendship has been going strong for over 10 years now. She is the one person who literally knows everything about me and definitely number one on my ride or die list. I think it is so important for ladies to have at least that one best friend who you know will be there for you no matter what because life as a girl is so hard but having a best friend with you makes the journey a little easier.

Christine Tran

Cal State LA

After taking four different MBTI tests, Christine is the definition of someone who is half ENFJ and ESFP (she got two for each type). With that being said, this clearly explains her major in Communications at Cal State LA. With a love for fashion and music, she's the type of person who will post #ootds and pictures of every concert she's at on her Instagram. Along with that, Christine has a horrible addiction with cupcakes and tattoos which will eventually be the death of her unless her parents figure out she already has more than one tattoo first.... Find out what she's up to by following her Instagram @christineetran
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez