5 Books That Will Make You Swoon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

It’s that time of the year again when love is in the air and everyone just likes to feel some affection and sweetness. The month of February gives off the romantic vibe, but not everyone has someone special to celebrate Valentine’s Day with. Some would rather celebrate Galentine’s Day with friends or family, or stay at home and eat chocolates all day. But for whatever reason you find yourself needing a romantic pick-me-up, we got you covered!  Here is a short list of some romantic books that will make you feel in love in an instant! 

1. Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnick

If you’re into Jane Austen, then this book is for you! It’s a retelling of a modern day Pride & Prejudice set in high school. It’s light-hearted, fun, and full of witty banters between the main characters Elise, and her beau Derek. It’s a fluffy read that can make you giggle and swoon right off the bat when Elise and superstar Derek meet.

2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

What more can you ask for when you have to go study in France, and have a cute English-American boy by your side to help you adjust to your new surroundings? Definitely nothing else! This book will bring romance to your Valentine’s Day and it will surely make you root for the main characters Anna and Etienne until they finally get together. It’s full of life and friendship stories with all the romantic gestures from Etienne that you’ll need!

3. Simon vs. The Homo Sapien’s Agenda by Becky Albertalli

This book follows Simon, our isn’t-very-openly-gay protagonist, and his interactions with his secret pen pal, Blue. Until one day, an email falls into the hands of the wrong person and blackmails Simon into revealing his true sexuality. And Simon must navigate how to deal with that drama while trying to find out who Blue is. This is all you need if you want some drama in your romance, but we assure you the email correspondence between the two will send you swooning and wanting more.

4. Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby

This story will start you off with a heartbreak, but will bring you back to life as you continue to read the story of Quinn who was heartbroken of the death of her boyfriend, but gradually falls in love with Colton, the recipient of her boyfriend’s heart. This story will give you goose bumps as well as touch your heart.

5. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

This book is a very fun, cute, and fluffy read! It follows the love story of Hadley and Oliver who met at the airport in the midst of all the nightmares of being stuck there. The two meet and connects, lose each other, and meet again. It is a love story that you will fall in love with! Who’d have thought that a love could form at an airport where people just pass each other by? Certainly not these two!

Faith Gabriel

Cal State LA

Faith Gabriel is a sophomore at Cal State LA majoring in Biology while completing pre-medical courses. Her career goal is to be an amazing Pediatrics Orthopedic Surgeon. She's also a part of Delta Zeta Sorority, Theta Rho chapter and is serving in CSULA Panhellenic Council. When she's not busy with school work and Greek Life activities, she enjoys reading fiction (mostly Young Adult), as well as watching Neflix, blogging about books on Tumblr, and sleeping in. Obviously, she loves the color blue; you can tell just by looking at her hair, or her laptop, or just at her phone case really.
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez