20th Century Influential Fashion Icons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

Looking around campus, we can see that everyone is starting to look different this fall. The clothes we wear say a lot about us, but who influences our styles? Here is a of our favorite 20th century fashion icons we love to follow and continue to be inspired from.

1. Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn’s style is timeless and feminine. This fashion icon was an expert playing with simplicity and boldness. Even though she loved statement hats, bold prints, simple silhouettes, groundbreaking pants, and natural beauty, she was always able to keep her personal style intact and consistent. For these reasons and more, many women across campus always maintain her at the top of the list.

2. Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe will forever remain as the sexiest bombshell in fashion. Right under Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe is very popular among campus women. She taught us that red lipstick goes a long way and even in casual situations, accessorizing makes it all better.

3. Madonna

Madonna, 80s hit singer and fashion revolutionary, marks 3rd place. Unlike most of the fashion icons listed here, Madonna has an edgier look—certainly making her the most rebellious inspiration. Since not every girl likes feminine clothing, jeans are a perfect out for anyone looking to tone it down a bit. But Madonna is definitely not about toning anything down! Her daring clothing influences the wild side in us.

4. Lady Di.

How could a Princess not be listed under top fashion icons? I’m so glad that women across campus look up to her for style Sure, Lady D seems like a fashion icon to be more modestly and properly dressed because she was royalty, but believe it or not, she wasn’t completely conservative about her style. This fashion icon and trendsetter surprised people around the world with her different prints, colorful outfits, and daring necklines.

5. Twiggy

This swinging 60s supermodel proved to bring fresh and rejuvenating style to the fashion scene. Her famous wide eyes and slender figure never stopped her from becoming the next big fashion personality. Her pixie haircut, bold makeup and colorful outfits are the reasons why she was the big poster child and why she is a big hit in today’s embracement of 60s fashion.

6. Jackie O.

We’ve had a princess and a supermodel on this list; why not also have a First Lady? Even though she comes as 6th in the list, there is a lot to be learned from the former Kennedy’s style. I’m so happy that CSULA women look up to her, as she is one of my very own fashion icons. When we think shift dresses, head scarfs, white on white, and casual classy, we just have to think Jackie O. Classy doesn’t have to be boring, and confident women don’t have to be haughty.

Roxana is a Senior at California State University, Los Angeles majoring in Fashion Merchandising and is in process of completing three other certificates: Retailing, Marketing, and Social Media. She is a fashion columnist for the campus newspaper, University Times, and is the former President of the Fashion Association of Design Students. As a fashion enthusiast, she follows countless numbers of blogs and magazines, loves food and cooking, dancing Latin music, and spending time with her family and friends.
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez