13 Halloween Safety Tips: A Collegiette’s Guide to Staying Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State LA chapter.

1. Be aware of your surroundings!

Make sure you stay alert during your night out. You need to stay aware (especially at night) of any potential predators or suspicious people around you. Being on your cellphone or distracted in any way hinders your natural instincts. You never know who might be watching you. 

2. Keep cell phone fully charged and packed with emergency numbers handy. 

This one is self-explanatory. You never know what can happen so being prepared is one way to avoid a tragedy. 

3. Stay in groups or pairs!

Use the buddy system everywhere you go. Having someone with you at all times makes you less vulnerable to unwanted attention. Don’t get caught in a situation where you’re left alone. Designate a buddy and stick with them like you’re Siamese twins. 

4. Let your whereabouts be known!

Tell your parents, roommates, boyfriend or close friends where you will be going that night and try to check in with them occasionally. If that’s not doable, let someone know where you’re going and when you get home. 

5. Drink responsibly. 

Make sure you don’t drink on an empty stomach and don’t over do it. There is nothing worse than a collegiette who goes H.A.M. and ends up getting alcohol poisoning before the night is over. A hangover is not fun and no one wants to become a baby-sitter. It’s okay to pace yourself. 

6. Don’t leave drinks unattended.

I repeat: do not leave your drinks unattended. You don’t know what can happen when you’re not looking. If the cute guy at the bar or party wants to get you a drink, make sure you watch the drink as it’s being made or opened. Don’t become a victim of date rape drugs; they’re very real. The same goes for your stuff. Keep an eye on your things wherever you are. 

7. Plan and research parties/ events ahead of time.

Plan ahead. Figure out where you want to go, who you’ll be going with, how long you’ll be there, and how you will get there. It only takes a few minutes but saves you from driving around in circles for 2 hours looking for something to do. 

8. Be careful on the road!

Halloween is on a Saturday this year, which means there will be many more people out that night. DESIGNATE A DRIVER! Driving under the influence really does impair your vision and reflexes. Drive safely; watch out for drunk drivers and young trick-or-treaters. There are many services that offer ride-share (some for free) so PLAN AHEAD!

9. Take care of your car! 

Be aware of street signs and parking regulations. The last thing you want on Halloween is to find out you got a ticket or towed for illegal parking. Also, make sure that any valuables are hidden and your car securely locked. Sometimes, paying to park in a flat rate lot is worth it. If you don’t want to pay for parking, grab a taxi or Uber. 

10. Stay in lit areas.

Try to stay in well-lit areas. Don’t take any dark shortcuts or new routes. We always see the victim in a horror movie making dumb decisions and get killed or kidnapped as a result. We’re smarter than that. Make sure to use your better judgment unlike those girls in the horror movies. 

11. Wear a functional costume!

Make sure you have costume that is comfortable and easy to move in. Try not to wear sky-high heels. Your feet will get tired and in case you need to make a quick getaway, you have practical shoes. 

12. Always test makeup before use.

Test your Halloween makeup on a small area on your face or body a few days before to make sure you aren’t allergic to anything. You don’t want to be ready for a fun night out and find out the makeup you chose is making you look like the monster from The Goonies. Stick to water-based face makeup or use products you have used in the past to avoid a nightmare. 

13. Trust your instincts! 

Most importantly, trust your instincts. Your instincts know when something doesn’t feel right. If you feel uncomfortable in any situation, get yourself and your friends out of there. Have the best time on Halloween but remember to stay safe!

Happy Halloween Collegiettes! 

Anna Lopez

Cal State LA

My name is Anna Lopez with two N's. I'm your typical girl who loves makeup, clothes, shouting at sporting events and reading a good book...Maybe not that typical. I love my dog Lady and giving advice to anyone..."Let me tell you..." Need an ear to listen and not judge, I'm your girl. Love my family and my chubby nieces. You'll find me at home laughing with my family or out in the world trying new things. I love anything that has to do with writing, taking pictures, laughing and eating. Skinny-fat anyone?  
Yzzy Gonzalez

Cal State LA

Yzzy (real name Ysabel, for the record) is obsessed with a myriad of things, including Inception, traveling, Downtown LA, and laser tagging. Majoring in Television, Film and Media and a lover of creative writing, Yzzy is torn between visual storytelling and using a whole bunch of words. Twitter: @yzzygonzalez