victorious christmas?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
victorious christmas?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nickolodeon / Netflix

You And Your Roomies Need To Try These Holiday Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

This holiday season, I’m embracing all the festivities Chico and college life has to offer and I recommend you do too! As winter break approaches, this is a perfect time to spend quality time with your roomies before you head home for the holidays.

Hot cocoa night

The first fun activity to partake in with your friends is making hot cocoa with decorative mugs! Everyone needs a little sweet treat and there’s no better treat than a warm hot chocolate to end your day. Grab your roommates and pick up some inexpensive holiday mugs at TJ Maxx to pour your cocoa into. Next, get your hot cocoa packets– I recommend Godiva’s mix. After pouring the cocoa into mugs, spray whip cream around the rims and dust with holiday sprinkles! 

holiday lights tour

The next activity I love doing with friends during the winter is driving around and looking at holiday lights. Just grab your keys, all your roomies, and drive around the cozy Chico neighborhoods. Here’s a list of five local houses to get you started. Looking at holiday lights in a warm car with your friends is a wonderful bonding moment. You can decide which house had the cutest lights and even use some houses as inspiration for your own decor! 

ice skating

Ice skating is another essential holiday task. I know ice skating can be daunting to some people, however going on a light hearted ice skating trip with your close friends is priceless. Core memories can be made on the ice whether you fall on your face or glide with ease. Ice skating is also a great photo opportunity to spice up your social media feed during the winter. Secure your tickets for the downtown Chico ice skating rink before it closes on January 14, 2024!

gift exchange

One final activity is hosting a classic white elephant gift exchange with your roommates. My love language is gift-giving so this is one of my favorite traditions. It’s exciting to see all your friends’ creative gifts, whether they’re silly or practical. At the end of the exchange, everyone gets a gift and its another way for your household to bond!

Spending quality time with your roommates before going home for the holidays is the perfect way to get you in the holiday spirit. The winter season only comes around once a year, so why not take advantage of it with your best friends? Happy holidays!

Julia Critchett

Cal State Chico '25

Julia Critchett is an eager Business Marketing major who is navigating her junior year at Cal State University, Chico. She is a part of the greek organization on campus, Alpha Phi where she holds a position as Assistant Director of Social Media. Julia is excited to share her thoughts and ideas on topics related to pop culture and all things Chico State! In her freetime Julia enjoys hiking with friends, thrifting, meeting new people, and indulging in restaurants in downtown Chico. Some of her favorite hobbies include cooking and catching up on current events! When she has downtime she relaxes by watching some of her favorite TV series or listening to her favorite musical artists. Julia grew up in a small town in Northern California called Petaluma. After college she hopes to reside in either San Diego or San Francisco while working for a marketing agency. She hopes to meet as many new people as possible during her time at Chico State and make long lasting connections!