Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures

Why I’ve Decided To Go Through Recruitment 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Spring Formal Recruitment, or “rush,” is the period during which students at Chico State who are interested in joining a sorority or fraternity can explore their options and find the right fit. During rush you get the opportunity to meet the different members and learn about the organizations’ different values, such as the different philanthropies.

When I first came into college last fall, I was still contemplating whether or not rushing was for me and if I should do it. I decided to take my freshman year as some time to really think about if this is something I wanted or not. I’m now in my sophomore year and have met so many wonderful people who are apart of Greek life. This has encouraged me to broaden my horizons and find something new to be apart of, for an array of different reasons!

1. meeting new people

I’ve met so many kind and interesting people through friends of friends who are in sororities. I can confidently say many of these have turned out to be some of my favorite people I’ve ever met. In a way, they opened up a new world for me and showed me that there is so much more to experience in college when you have the opportunity to meet new people in Greek life.

Who Should You Kiss On New Years Eve Consider Your Friends?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Canva

2. Networking

Being in a sorority gives you so many new possibilities, some of which are helpful in college and others which will help you in the future with internships and jobs. Greek life is a great way to meet important people which can offer many opportunities for your future, just based on the sole reason you were both in Greek organizations (or perhaps even the same one)!

3. Leadership opportunities 

I’ve always been very involved in school. During high school, I was the student to always aim for a position, whether in leadership or sports teams. Sororities at Chico State can also offer opportunities for leadership! Not only can you gain experience and a resume boost through holding a position in your chapter, but also invaluable skills that can help you succeed in your future career.

4. A sense of home

Though I’m not in Greek life yet, many of my friends who are involved in sororities have told me their chapter felt like a second home. Being in a sorority and having your sisters with you can give you that much-needed sense of belonging and can help combat the homesickness that often creeps its way into students’ lives.

Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

5. Accountability

One of the main reasons why I have decided to go through recruitment is because I know it will be a way to hold myself accountable. Sometimes in college, especially during your freshman year, you can get a little lost because of how different it may be from high school. I know I definitely experienced this! I see this opportunity as a motivation to hold myself accountable, academically, socially, and professionally!

6. Finding people like me 

Coming to college is a big change and at times, it’s difficult to find people who are similar to you. Especially given the thousands of students who attend Chico State! Joining a sorority gives you the opportunity to find the right place for you and meet like-minded people you can surround yourself during these monumental years of your life.

At the end of the day, greek life is not for everyone. If you’re looking for something to give you new opportunities, however, I encourage you to give formal recruitment a try. There’s so much to gain from the experience and some things you’ll take with you throughout your entire life. Besides, there’s no harm in trying!

Jireh Galvan

Cal State Chico '26

Jireh Galvan is a second-year student at Chico State, majoring in Psychology. She is originally from a city in the Bay Area called Vallejo, about 45 minutes from San Francisco. She loves the “small town” feeling she gets in Chico and how calm it is. Outside of school, she likes to watch movies, read, listen to music, and write. She has been writing since she was a freshman in high school and is very excited for this new opportunity that Her Campus has offered for her writing journey.