Volunteer Opportunities In & Around Chico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

One of my new years resolutions was to not only get involved in more school-focused volunteer opportunities, but also more community-focused opportunities. Now that I’m back in Chico and have settled into my classes a bit, I’ve decided to get back into the swing of things and do more research on opportunities that I can take advantage to make a change in the community.

1. The Salvation Army of Chico

The Salvation Army is an international charitable organization with the goal of preaching the gospel of Christianity and doing so by meeting the needs of humans without discrimination. You can volunteer with the salvation army with weekly food distributions, food packing, and drive thru food distribution. The salvation army also takes donations for those in need.

2. Children’s Choir of Chico 

Children’s Choir of Chico is a nonprofit school of choral music education who not only participate in many performance opportunities throughout the year, but also go out into the community and perform at retirement complexes, public events and fundraisers for other organizations.

3. Little Red Hen 

Little Red Hen is a non-profit organization with several locations serving children and adults with developmental disabilities. 100% of their proceeds benefit quality programs for children and adults with developmental disabilities like Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, and other cognitive disabilities. Little Red Hen employs developmentally disabled adults at all locations and ensures they don’t pay below minimum wage.  

4. CAVE

The Associated Students at Chico State is driven by a mission to serve and uplift the local community. Since 1966, their commitment to service has become a cornerstone of campus culture. Through partnerships with Chico Unified School District, Enloe Medical Center, and Butte Humane Society, CAVE has addressed local needs and made positive changes in our community. Furthermore, their mission consists of making a lasting change.

These are only a few of the countless opportunities that are offered by the university and in the city of Chico. If you’re interested in finding more ways to get involved, head over to the Downtown Chico website and check out the volunteers page!

Jireh Galvan

Cal State Chico '26

Jireh Galvan is a second-year student at Chico State, majoring in Psychology. She is originally from a city in the Bay Area called Vallejo, about 45 minutes from San Francisco. She loves the “small town” feeling she gets in Chico and how calm it is. Outside of school, she likes to watch movies, read, listen to music, and write. She has been writing since she was a freshman in high school and is very excited for this new opportunity that Her Campus has offered for her writing journey.