Style

Dress To Impress: Inspiration For The Perfect Valentine’s Day Outfit

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Candy hearts, chocolate-covered strawberries, and pink accessories everywhere. All of this could only mean one thing… Valentine’s Day has arrived in stores! 

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and my Instagram feed is filled with tons of outfit inspo for many different occasions. This article will be your go-to guide on what to wear on a fancy date, a casual dinner, or a girls’ night in for this Valentine’s Day! Whether you’re spending your first Valentine’s Day with a partner and want to dress to impress (like I am), or if you’re drinking cute cocktails with your single gals, I have outfit inspo for every Valentine’s Day possibility! 

Keeping it classy:

You don’t need a super fancy outfit or a glitter frilly dress if you’re wanting to spice things up this Valentine’s Day. Stick to the classics! Subtle implements of red and pink will be the perfect way to make things a little special. 

90s High Rise Abercrombie Jeans: These jeans are offered in a variety of different washes, sizes ranging from 23-37, and make for the perfect pair of classic blue jeans. You can wear this with a pink heart sweater, or a fancier going-out top depending on your plans! 

Black Skirt: Every girl needs a black mini-skirt. This is perfect with so many different tops, like a cute red sweater or a leather jacket with a pink top. You can always add some layers by adding tights underneath as well- so many pairs of tights have patterns like hearts or lace! 

Red Long Sleeve: This would look amazing paired with jeans and boots or with a black or white skirt and heels!

Seamless Bodysuit: This bodysuit comes in two different shades of pink, making it the perfect addition to a Valentine’s Day-themed outfit. Pair this with blue jeans and sneakers for a casual but cute look! 

Sweater Vest: This vest is super versatile. It can be worn with something underneath or just left as a top. This vest would look super good paired with trouser-style pants, or jeans! 

Lindsay Thompson-Miami Mirror Walls Vest Serious Stressed
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Sticking with the trends:

Aspects of leather, a red lip, and mixing textures, create an almost “mob wifey” type of outfit. Trendy outfits can be adjusted to fit any sort of event that you’re going to or dates that you have planned for the upcoming holiday. 

White top: With leather pants, this could be a fun, trendy look for Valentine’s Day. 

Lace tank top: This tank is giving 2000s Barbie. If you’re into the low-rise jeans trend, this top is perfect for you AND has elements of pink! 

Long Sleeve Silk Top: This top is stunning and feels so light on the skin. It would pair perfectly in a coquette-inspired look, which, of course, needs hair bows to accessorize. 

Two Piece Set: Talk about LOVE! This set is perfect for a going-out Valentine’s Day look. Whether that be with a significant other or with your girls, this look would pair well with kitten heels or a chunky pair of boots!

Dressing up:

One thing about me – I LOVE dressing up and will take any opportunity to put on a dress and heels and spend hours getting ready. Honestly, getting ready is one of the best parts of going out. These options will be perfect for a five-star restaurant, or anywhere that you feel just needs a little something extra. 

Ruffle Dress: This dress is super cute and trendy, available in both pink and red!

Linen Long Dress: Searching for a longer dress option? This one is light and breathable and comes in a variety of Valentine’s Day-themed colors and prints. 

Bow Dress: Subtle Valentine’s vibe meets coquette. This dress is the perfect mix of dainty and sweet, but also fun and trendy! 

Square Neck Dress: This dress is beautiful and perfect for a dinner date. You can dress it up or dress it down depending on what you’re doing. 

Midi Dress: This hot pink number is an amazing option for going out! 

Girls’ night in:

I have spent many Valentine’s Days with my girlfriends, sipping on cute drinks filled with edible glitter, making appetizers for dinner, and watching movies. Whether you’re looking for something a little more on the casual side or some cute silky pajamas, this list will definitely help you! 

legally blonde icky valentines day?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
MGM

Pink Striped Set: This shorts and top set from Target fits very well with the Galentine’s theme. 

Limited Edition Skims: Big skims gal? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. These lounge pants and matching tops are Valentine’s Day limited edition so snag them before they’re gone!

Comfiest Hoodie Ever: This Alo hoodie has a matching pair of sweatpants, and they’re so comfortable and soft! Perfect for a chill night! 

Skims Dupe: This super soft set is a skims dupe! It’s blowing up all over social media, and you can wear it for so many different occasions beyond V-day! 

Affordable and quick:

Amazon is a go-to for me when it comes to searching for going-out tops, or if I’m in a time crunch for an outfit. Have a last-minute date? All of these options will be available to ensure a fast arrival and to make sure you’re looking up to par! 

Long-Sleeve Baby Pink Top: Casual and cute (and would pair well with bows). 

Burgundy Strapless Top: This would pair super well with a pair of leather pants or a mini skirt and boots! 

Corset Style Bodysuit: Looking for a bodysuit option? This one is super cute and will be a perfect fit with a good pair of denim!

Satin Dress: Cute, trendy, and available in a ton of colors!

Ruffle Dress: Another perfect dress option that comes in a few different Valentine-inspired colors! 

All of these options are perfect for many different occasions! If you’re lacking some inspiration for what to wear, scroll through your Instagram explore page or search for inspo on Pinterest! I hope that whatever your plans are, you have an outfit you feel great in and an even better night!

McKenzie Kirsch

Cal State Chico '25

McKenzie (Kenzie) Kirsch is a third-year at Chico State, studying English Education in hopes of being an English teacher. She likes having fun and is also very serious about her studies as well. She is originally from a small town in Northern California called Wheatland, about 30 minutes north of Sacramento, CA. She loves the community of Chico and is very happy to be spending her college years here. Outside of school, she likes to bake, read and write, workout and hike! Chico is the perfect place to explore and meet new people. She is so excited to be a member of Her Campus and continue her writing journey!