This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

How reading can help your mental Health During the cold season

Reading is always brought up in conversations surrounding self-care, relaxation, and de-stressing. As an avid reader myself, I believe this to be true. I always feel good reading a great book, but I never stop to ask why. As the semester comes to a close, all I can think about is all the books I haven’t been able to read and, as I’m sure you can say the same, I want nothing more than to focus on self-care after classes are finally over. In preparation for the cozy winter break ahead, here are three reasons to have all of the relaxing reading sessions you want this holiday break, according to WebMD (information medically reviewed by Jabeen Begum, MD).

1. Anxiety and Stress Reduction

Because reading is a repetitive, singularly focused task, it qualifies as meditative. The repetition allows your mind to reduce stress and tension. Furthermore, reading urges your brain to think creatively, engaging your imagination. This enters your mind into “an altered state of consciousness,” which may help counter anxious thought patterns. In other words, reading opens your mind and deep-cleans anxiety and stress out of your brain.

2. Fights Mental Decline and Dementia

Focusing on lifelong brain health significantly reduces the chances of dementia and brain issues later in life. Several studies link reading to healthy brains, as it engages the mind. Those who read and write often in life showed significantly less mental decline, even if they had brain damage. Further studies showed that the best results were within people who started these habits in early adulthood. Basically, start reading now! Future you will LOVE you for it.

3. Reading is proven to be mentally therapeutic

There is a specific form of therapy called Bibliotherapy that greatly improves many mental illnesses. It entails a therapist and a client reading a discussing a book together, almost like a mini book club. Often, it’s used with other forms of therapy, and its benefits include improvement of empathy, enhanced self-awareness, increased compassion, and the promotion of problem-solving skills. This can all be a result of just six minutes of reading per day. Not only is reading fun, it scientifically makes you a better, kinder person.

With all of these reading results – less stress, less anxiety, better mental clarity for life, and becoming a nicer person – reading is officially the Hot Girl winter break activity. So, cozy up with some good music, a soft blanket, and a cup of hot cocoa, and get ready to read to your heart’s content this winter!

Nadia Dizard

Cal State Chico '24

Nadia is a writer, reader, film analyzer, radio host, and all-around media enthusiast. She is currently finishing her degree in Media Arts Production at California State University, Chico. For the last 3 years, she has been a documentary intern with the Advanced Laboratory for Visual Anthropology and has worked as an assistant at the Valene L. Smith Museum of Anthropology on Chico State's campus. It is these experiences that have created for her, a deep passion for cultural and communal storytelling. She enjoys deep conversations about the media's use of stories to impact our social world and often explores this within her writing. In her free time, she loves early morning walks, hot tea, reading any book she can find, discovering new music, and spending time with her family and friends.