Life > Experiences

Spooky Chico Outings For You and Your Roomies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Sometimes it can feel as though there is nothing to do in Chico except go to school and hang out with friends, but you’d be surprised to hear all the fun events in and around Chico that you and your roommates can attend this October! During the holidays, it’s easy to get stuck into a routine and miss the many cool things this small town has to offer. If spooky activities like haunted mazes or scary movies aren’t really your thing, I’ve also includes other events such as silent discos and musicals that you and your roomies can also enjoy!

Country Pumpkins (Orland, California):

This five-acre pumpkin patch located in Orland, California makes for a super fun and spooky activity to attend with your roommates! Along with the pumpkin patch, there’s also a petting zoo and hay pyramid, and parking is free! There’s also a $5 corn maze that is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. On the final three Friday’s and Saturday’s of the month, there is also a haunted maze open to the public. The ticket to enter the maze costs $15 and it’s open from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. 

Lizzie: The Musical (Chico, California): 

If you enjoy musicals, Lizzie: The Musical is something you and your roommates definitely don’t want to miss. This musical, focused on Lizzie Borden, murder, and rock, will have you on the edge of your seat! The tickets for this musical can be purchased online through The Barn at Meriam Park for $25. You can attend from October 18th, 2023 to October 22, 2023 and the shows will start at 7:30 p.m. 

Silent Disco (Chico, California): 

The Barn at Meriam Park will also be hosting a silent disco that will feature three local DJs, playing different types of music throughout the night. If you’re looking to try something new this upcoming Friday the 13th, attending the silent disco from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. would be such a cool experience! This event is open to all ages and has tickets ranging from $10-$15

At-home activities: 

If it’s not in your budget to spend money on spooky outings, there are plenty of activities that you and your roommates can do for free or low-cost this October. Watching movies is always a fun activity and gives you the option to unique elements to the night, such as themed snacks or making it a marathon. Scream, Saw, Child’s Play, and The Conjuring are always good Halloween classics! While watching the movie, you can also bake or enjoy some Halloween-themed pastries and snacks.

Bonus: If you want to go all out, carving pumpkins can be a fun addition to a night-in with your roomies!

tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw
Daniela Mendoza

Cal State Chico '25

Daniela Mendoza is a junior majoring in Communications with a minor in Marketing at California State University, Chico. For the past three years, she has developed an interest in writing and pop culture which is why she decided to become part of the Her Campus writing team! Some of her interests include food, fashion, and music, and she would love to create content about those topics throughout this experience. Outside of being a part of the Her Campus team, she is also an active member of the Alpha Phi Sorority Chapter at Chico State. Through Alpha Phi, she has participated in community service events as well as philanthropy fundraisers. She recently also had the opportunity to become a collegiate brand ambassador for PRIME, through which she promotes PRIME products through social media marketing on Instagram. The reason why she decided to become a writer for Her Campus is because of the emphasis on woman empowerment. She values the importance of having content tailored towards college women written by college women. The message of creating a website that feels like a community is important and Her Campus does a good job representing that. She is so excited about this new marketing and writing opportunity through Her Campus and can’t wait to learn, improve, and create throughout this experience!