Marisa’s Ins And Outs For This Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

At the start of this year, the “ins and outs” list trend took the media by storm, building a new way to structure New Year’s Resolutions. Out with old bad habits, and in with new mindsets, goals, passions, and attitudes. While I’m a firm believer that the concept of “new year (or in this case, new semester), new me” is outdated, I do believe that commemorating the start of something new, whether that be a calendar year, academic semester, or just a chapter of life, gives you a unique and exciting invitation to rebrand yourself and take steps to embrace your fullest potential!

I’ve decided to set my own ins and outs for this semester for a few reasons. This being my final semester of college ever (holy sh*t), I want to make the most of my last few months in Chico and embrace this ending of my undergraduate chapter.

In: Drinking more water

When it comes to my physical wellbeing, drinking water is by far my biggest weakness. I love a yummy beverage and tend to hold off on drinking water until I literally feel parched. I never quite realize how much of a toll dehydration takes on my body until I actively choose to drink a substantial amount per day and all of a sudden feel so much better. I see a difference in my skin, hair, energy levels, and even mood. For this semester, I’m setting a goal to always bring water to my classes and drink at least 80 ounces of water per day!

OUT: calorie counting

I’ve had my own share of struggles when it comes to my relationship with food. In the past, I’ve tended to narrow in on the calories per serving part of the label, and avoid the nutritional details. I’m no expert when it comes to nutrition, but from my own experience, this has often led to me eating as few calories as possible per day and not providing my body with the nutrients it needs to function properly. This semester, I want to focus much less on the calories and instead, prioritizing my intake of vital nutrients, such as protein, carbs, fats, etc.

In: Reading

I read a lot less frequently than you’d probably assume for an English major. I love reading, but I tend to choose movies, shows, and overall screen time over it. This semester, I’d like to rediscover my love for reading for fun, especially before bed! Plus, there’s nothing better than a trip to Barnes & Noble or the local used bookstore.

out: social media

Okay, let me start off by saying I won’t be fully giving up social media. That being said, I have an extremely dependent relationship on social media, especially Instagram and Snapchat. I’m making it a goal for myself to spend a lot more time enjoying and making memories with my best friends, and a lot less time worrying about the amount of comments I get on my recent photo dump.

In: time outside

The nature and outdoor opportunities are highly underrated in and around Chico and I want to completely embrace my surroundings before I graduate this May. While I love an indoor movie night or get-together just as much as the next person, I’m also excited to spend some time this semester going on walks around Bidwell, planning adventures to nearby parks and campsites, studying by a tree on Kendall Lawn (okay, Rory Gilmore), and just embracing the fresh air whenever I can. Plus, it’s good for my mind, body, and soul.

Out: procrastination

I’m a self-proclaimed expert when it comes to procrastination. I wouldn’t consider myself lazy or unmotivated, but I do tend to be very avoidant when it comes to tasks or assignments that seem daunting to me. While I know this will probably be a lot more easier said than done, my main academic goal this semester is to space out my bigger assignments and stop waiting until the last minute. While I still tend to be a productive procrastinator, the feeling of having to complete an assignment in one day that I could’ve spread out over a couple weeks is not something I’d ever like to encounter again.

A new semester can be intimidating, but it can also be so exciting and a great way to experiment with new goals and habits! While I know I’ll run into hiccups along the way, I can’t wait to work on these aspects of my life and I invite you to set your own ins and outs for this spring. Good luck this semester!

Marisa Cala-Keck

Cal State Chico '24

Marisa is the Founder, President, and Editor-in-Chief of the Chico State Her Campus chapter. A double major in English and Psychology, she is equally passionate about mental health and writing. She is an honors student, served as the 2022-2023 President of her sorority, Alpha Delta Pi, and has been on the Dean's List seven out of seven semesters thus far. Marisa has worked in a variety of mentorship roles on campus and currently assists students as an Academic Advising Intern. In her free time, Marisa loves spending time with her family and best friends, being around animals (especially her 3 cats and 2 dogs), binge-watching her comfort shows (the current top two include Pretty Little Liars and Gilmore Girls), reading novels, traveling, and singing! She loves Taylor Swift, spicy foods, Trader Joe's, Pinterest, and all things chocolate. After graduating this Spring, she plans to move to New York to earn her master's degree before pursing a career in the field of education, through which she aspires to reframe health and sex education programs to be more inclusive and to open in-school conversations surrounding mental wellness.