Izzy’s Top Movie Picks for This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Happy (almost) Valentine’s Day! Whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day with your bae, with your girls, or on your own, here are my top picks for romance movies to chill out. That being said, grab your favorite snack, a cozy blanket, and cuddle up!

1. Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

My all-time favorite movie has to be first on this list. In this film, we follow two storylines- a depressing divorce, and a sprouting new love. Cal Weaver (played by Steve Carell), has a life-altering discovery as his wife admitted to having an affair. He then makes it his mission to make her regret ever abandoning their relationship. Cal’s story is intertwined with his daughter, Hannah (played by Emma Stone), and her soulmate-to-be, Jacob (played by Ryan Gosling) as they come to a comical realization.

I can promise that no matter what kind of night you’re having, this movie will have you cackling.

My rating: 9/10

Run time: 1h 47m

Starring: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Steve Carell

2. 50 first dates (2004)

This inspiring story starring Adam Sandler as Henry Roth and the one and only, Drew Barrymore as Lucy Whitmore, raises the bar for all men on earth. Henry meets the lovely Lucy and is immediately entranced by her pure heart and beauty. He wishes to meet her again and again and again. Henry fights to be with Lucy every day, despite her unfortunate fault. 

This one might make you cry, but it’s so sentimental and sweet.

My rating: 8/10

Run time: 1h 46m

Starring: Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore

3. A Cinderella Story (2004)

This is a classic early 2000s movie and my favorite remake of Cinderella with a modern high school twist. The shy “diner girl,” aka Samantha (played by Hilary Duff), never believes that she could ever end up with the popular, pined-after jock, Austin (played by Chad Michael Murray), until she ends up on an online anonymous chat with him. Their story is an unexpected one, with the story taking many out-of-the-blue turns and the best ending one could ever hope for.

Some may find this one a little questionable, but growing up, it was a classic for me and was my comfort movie for a very long time, so of course I had to include it. 

My rating: 8/10

Run time: 1h 35m

Starring: Hillary Duff and Chad Micheal Murray

4. Where the Crawdads Sing (2022)

A blend between murder mystery and romance, this fascinating tale uncovers the life of Kya (played by Daisy Edgar-Jones), a young girl abandoned in the marshland of North Carolina where she is brought out of her shell by Tate (played by Taylor John Smith), during their short summer romance. 

This story is largely about murder mystery, but it also includes one of the best twists in romance of any movie. This one is totally worth the watch. However, just be warned, it does get a little dark, so if you are looking for a feel-good, this may not be your best option. 

My rating: 9.5/10

Run time: 2h 5m

Starring: Daisy Edgar-Jones, Taylor John Smith, and Harris Dickinson

5. Dear John (2010)

This heart-wrenching tale follows a kind-hearted college girl named Savanna Lynn Curtis (played by Amanda Seyfriend), as she meets the man who flips her world upside down. He’s a tough Army soldier who goes by the name of John Tyree (played by Channing Tatum). Their short two weeks together sparked a lifetime full of love through letters during his deployment until she took a step in the other direction.

While this is a great movie, it’s one filled with love and loss, so keep that in mind as you make your cinematic choice!

My rating: 7/10

Run time: 1h 48m

Starring: Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum

Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried in Dear John
Relativity Media

6. Zootopia (2016)

I know what you’re thinking, is Zootopia really a love story? While some may make the argument that it is a deep-rooted story of oppression and cruelty that our world provides, it also explores the love affair between Ms. Judy Hops and the sly Nick Wilde. Their story is not only a very unique one filled with twists and turns, it’s also a fascinating one filled with adventure and trust. Officer Judy Hops and Nick Wilde are forced to work with each other on a mind-boggling case, while facing each other’s differences along the way and learning new ways to tolerate each other, they slowly fall deeply into feelings, as well as heartbreak as they face their mistakes. Through all of that, other lives are on the line and they need to stick together to save the city. 

My rating: 9.8/10

Run time: 1h 48m

Starring: Ginnifer Goodwin, Jason Bateman, and Shakira.

7. The Notebook (2004)

How can a romance movie list be complete without The Notebook? A classic tale of young love that truly doesn’t need an introduction. If you haven’t watched it, watch it! 

My rating: 8.5/10

Run time: 2h 1m

Starring: Racheal McAdams and Ryan Gosling

Honorable Mentions:

Valentine’s Day (2010)

Notting Hill (1999)

Titanic (1997)

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

5 Feet Apart (2019)

Dirty Dancing (1987)

Love Jones (1997)

Through My Window (2022)

Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Purple Hearts (2022)

Letters to Juliet (2010)

titanic im flying scene
Paramount Pictures
Isabelle Harger

Cal State Chico '27

Isabelle Harger, or Izzy, is a first-year student at California State University, Chico. Her major is Animal science, with an emphasis on the pre-vet track and a minor in biology. She plans to study abroad in Australia during her time at Chico State and graduate in 2027. In her free time, she enjoys going to the gym, spending time with her friends, writing, cooking, and spending lazy days on the beach when she goes home to Santa Barbara, California. As a member of the writing team, she is eager to create content that the girls of Chico will feel uplifted and inspired and believes this experience will help her writing skills immensely for future research projects and journals. She is so excited to start her journey writing for Her Campus!