Culture > Digital

Enjoying The Perfect Halloween Through Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Your musical map of Halloween

Today’s the day! Happy Halloween, readers. The pumpkins are carved, candy is stocked, and costumes are perfected. What will really take your Halloween to the next level is the perfect playlist. Halloween this year falls on a Tuesday, meaning class is in session. What better way to ensure you make it through your classes than to listen to spooky fall tunes to hype you up for the night’s festivities? This list of song suggestions will vary from classic spooky to sad girl fall and everything in between. Create that new playlist and let’s dive in.

No matter what the weather’s like wherever you live, waking up on Halloween is a cozy experience. Your spooky decorations are on full display, your favorite comforter is officially in use, and your fall candle is lit. This is the perfect moment to play a song that makes you feel like you’re picking apples in a New England orchard. Halloween morning calls for “Like Real People Do” by Hozier. The relaxing strums of the guitar combined with the fall breeze and Hozier’s calming voice will set you up for an amazing Halloween.

After a calming morning of Hozier and some warm cider or chai, it’s time to switch things up for your daily commute to class or work. Now that you’re fully immersed in the fall feeling, the next step is some Halloween classics to get you into the spooky spirit. I know that it can be kind of tough to feel connected to Halloween, especially as we begin to grow up and leave past traditions behind. If you can relate, what you need is some good old-fashioned “Monster Mash” by Bobby ‘Boris’ Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers. No one can resist the nostalgia of this song and with memories of your childhood Halloweens fresh in your mind, you can head into your Tuesday schedule ready to have the best Halloween yet.

You’re on campus, getting to all of your classes, shifts, meetings, etc, and you need a little music to keep you motivated. This is the moment you’ll want to put on The Cranberries. There’s no music that can feel perfectly like a lazy, cozy fall day yet also keep you inspired and motivated quite like that of The Cranberries. Specifically, “Dreams” by The Cranberries is the ideal soundtrack as you walk through campus, enjoying the smell of rain and the changing of the leaves. Tune into this song and you’ll be ready to finish out the day and make it to your Halloween evening plans.

Finally! Classes and work are over and you’re home, getting ready for an amazing Halloween night. As you’re picking out your outfit, doing your hair, and touching up your makeup, you need some spooky rock and roll tracks to really get yourself into the mood and vibe of the evening. You can never go wrong with “I Put a Spell on You” by Creedence Clearwater Revival. The sultry instrumentals and the electric vocals will make you feel like a character in Practical Magic and you’ll definitely be ready for your evening. To make your Halloween prep full of truly good vibes, consider adding “Love Potion No. 9” by The Searchers to the mix as you get ready for the night. Short and sweet, this song will have you moving to the beat and feeling like your ultimate classic Halloween has been achieved.

Everything is better with the right music, and Halloween is no exception. Take this base, add to it, make it your own, and today will be the Halloween of your dreams. Now get out those headphones, press play, and turn it up! Happy Halloween everyone!

Nadia Dizard

Cal State Chico '24

Nadia is a writer, reader, film analyzer, radio host, and all-around media enthusiast. She is currently finishing her degree in Media Arts Production at California State University, Chico. For the last 3 years, she has been a documentary intern with the Advanced Laboratory for Visual Anthropology and has worked as an assistant at the Valene L. Smith Museum of Anthropology on Chico State's campus. It is these experiences that have created for her, a deep passion for cultural and communal storytelling. She enjoys deep conversations about the media's use of stories to impact our social world and often explores this within her writing. In her free time, she loves early morning walks, hot tea, reading any book she can find, discovering new music, and spending time with her family and friends.