Booktubers Who Got Me Out of My Reading Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Recently, I found my pile of unread books starting to grow more and more. For months, I found myself staring at them, unable to find enough enthusiasm to crack them open. Until one day, I stumbled upon what is known as Booktube, a side of YouTube where creators discuss their favorite books and reading tips.

Before discovering Booktube, I was lucky if I could get through a few books a year. Last year alone, I easily read over a hundred books, all thanks to four Booktubers who got me out of my reading slump!

fullsizerender 3?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

1. Steph Bohrer

I discovered Steph in 2021 through TikTok. Since then, her content has become a source of comfort for me. Every book recommendation I have gotten from her has appeared on my bookshelf within a few days. What instantly drew me in about her content was her reading vlogs – they’re like spending time with your best friend. She not only gives amazing book recommendations, but also discusses her life experiences that make you feel like you’re right there with her. Her videos truly show what it means to find peace in spending time alone, and she has allowed me to find comfort in being by myself and enjoying the silence that comes along with it.

2. Destiny Sidwell

Destiny Sidwell is a Booktuber who instantly piqued my interest with not only her unique book interests of many different genres but also how often she puts out content. She drops multiple videos each week with a range of various topics. She creates videos on book hauls, book recommendations, daily vlogs, and book reviews. Among all of her videos, my favorite series she does are her, “spend a week with me” videos, showing off her productivity while also providing her viewers with lifestyle tips. She gives great tips on being productive while also being open about book slumps and needing a reset at times. Her videos allow me to find new books, while also giving me motivation to be productive!

3. Sara Carrolli

Sara Carrolli is a Booktuber I always watch whenever I need a source of comfort. Her videos easily get me out of reading slumps, as the way she discusses books has always made me eager to crack one open that she has reviewed. Sara always finds a way to make her reading challenges fun! My personal favorite series she does is her, “blind date with books,” series, which is where she picks a topic and chooses books based on it. Her videos always give me great book recommendations, and they motivate me to read books outside of my comfort zone.

4. Haley Pham

I started watching Haley Pham prior to her start on Booktube. She has been creating content for years and started creating videos about books in 2021. Her videos revolve around reading challenges, monthly book wrap-ups, and her favorite books. My personal favorites are her videos rating popular books that people are talking about. Getting a second opinion on books that many people are discussing is always interesting and her recommendations are usually different from what I have heard from others.

5. Bookmark’d with Sara & Des

Bookmark’d is a podcast created by two of the creators I mentioned in this article, Sara Carrolli and Destiny Sidwell, where they discuss different topics and how they feel about each week. This podcast is both on YouTube and available through Spotify and Apple Podcasts. Watching them on YouTube feels like having a conversation with your best friends. Although they do talk about books on the podcast, they also discuss deeper topics about how they’re feeling.

Joerly Johnson

Cal State Chico '26

Joerly Johnson is a sophomore at Chico State, majoring in Journalism and Public Relations. She is passionate about storytelling and using her skills to make a difference in the world. She is also an active member of Sigma Kappa, where she is Vice President of Academic Excellence. She was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. Being surrounded by the city's energy and creativity, fueled her passion for writing and storytelling! In her free time she loves to run, read, and paint! She hopes to continue her passion for writing and communicating in the sports marketing field, and is excited to see where she goes!