Anna Schultz-Girl And Guy Talking At Holiday Party
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

A Season Of Love: Your Guide For Winter Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal State Chico chapter.

Calling attention to all significant others this holiday season! Allow me to introduce you to some perfect winter-themed dates for you and your partner this holiday season.

Winter is the time of year where many people start to crave someone to be with, especially someone to keep them warm as the weather starts to get chilly. If you’re in the position to, go grab your boyfriend, girlfriend, situationship, or even a friend that you think is looking a little too good these days and take them out on a cute, winter-themed date! These date ideas are centered around Chico and will definitely be a fun experience for you and your partner.

Ice Skating

What’s more attractive than watching your partner slip and fall on ice? Jokes aside, this is a super cute date idea filled with lots of fun and laughter. You can always hold on tight to your significant other’s arm and skate around in a cute outfit. Chico’s Downtown Ice Rink is open from now until January 14, and tickets are only $14 a person.

Movie Nights

There are two ways to approach this date idea, with many ways to personalize it and make it way more fun! You can go to Tinseltown off East Ave, and watch a new movie in theaters. I have my eye on Anyone But You, the new rom-com with Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell.

If you’re more into a night in, a Christmas movie marathon would be perfect for you two! I recommend the classics: Elf, Polar Express and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but there are also some great Christmas romcoms that I’ve watched as well. Some of my favorites are Love Hard (perfect for Nina Dobrev fans), and Holidate. Either route you take, make sure you eat lots of popcorn, chocolate, and maybe even Christmas cookies! 

Painting Date

In the mood to let your creative side loose? A super fun date idea is grabbing a couple of canvases, some paint,  and painting together! There are lots of cute ideas on Pinterest for some winter or Christmas themed paintings. Another fun spin of this if you’re 21 or older is painting wine glasses and having a wine night!

Looking at Christmas Lights

This is a cheap and easy way to have a little bonding time with your partner. Driving around the neighborhoods of Chico, looking at the beautiful light creations is not only relaxing and chill, but can really get you both in the holiday spirit! You can even grab some hot chocolate beforehand, put on that Christmas playlist and simply enjoy your time together. Here is a list of some local houses that have a good display! 

Day or Weekend Trip to the Snow!

Now hear me out– Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place to visit during the winter months. It’s cold, snowy, and a perfect winter wonderland. It’s a little bit of a drive (about three hours away from Chico), but you can’t beat the fun tourist attractions, variety of hills to sled on, and the resorts if you’re into snow sports like skiing or snowboarding! 

Other Chico Activities

This website offers information about many different events happening in Chico during this Christmas season, such as shopping, performances, and activities! Any of these would be a great time for you and your significant other.

Whether you’re single this holiday season and are planning on indulging in some friend dates, in a loving relationship, or even in a rocky situationship, these activities would be a fun way to commemorate this time of the year. This season is the perfect season to spread a little love!  

McKenzie Kirsch

Cal State Chico '25

McKenzie (Kenzie) Kirsch is a third-year at Chico State, studying English Education in hopes of being an English teacher. She likes having fun and is also very serious about her studies as well. She is originally from a small town in Northern California called Wheatland, about 30 minutes north of Sacramento, CA. She loves the community of Chico and is very happy to be spending her college years here. Outside of school, she likes to bake, read and write, workout and hike! Chico is the perfect place to explore and meet new people. She is so excited to be a member of Her Campus and continue her writing journey!