Your Guide to the Best Food Deals in San Luis Obispo County

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

On the lookout for quick, cheap food? We’ve got you covered.

1. Fatte’s Pizza (San Luis Obispo)

Not only does Fatte’s Pizza have the most mouth-watering and delicious pizza in all of San Luis Obispo, it also offers the best value for pizza in town. Fatte’s Pizza offers a buy one-get one free pizza deal every single day of the week on all sizes, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. That means you can get two large one-topping pizzas for only $15. There are also 21 different topping to choose from, including salami, linguica, bacon, artichokes and garlic! With such a variety, there are an endless number of pizzas you can create to keep you satisfied at Fatte’s Pizza.

2. Sunshine Donuts (San Luis Obispo)

Sunshine Donuts is a sugar-lovers’ heaven right here in San Luis Obispo. Sunshine Donuts serves the freshest donuts, 24/7.  They are also significantly cheaper than their competitor, SLODoCo. Don’t be too surprised, when you come in often enough, the owner will start to recognize you and throw in a free donut or two. Who doesn’t love freebies? From maple bacon bars to triple chocolate and apple sauce donuts, Sunshine Donuts has it all. The Thai Iced Tea they serve also pairs well with any donut and is a must-try!

3. Costco Food Court (San Luis Obispo)

The Costco food court is undoubtedly the most inexpensive place to grab a complete meal. Even without a Costco membership, you can enjoy all of the wonders of the food court, from pizza to hot dogs to salad and sundaes. If you do have a membership, don’t forget to try out all of the wonderful samples inside the store! A giant hot dog and a soda is just $1.50, and two slices of pizza cost only $2. You can even grab a huge churro to share for just $1! The food court is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Be sure to plan accordingly to get to the food court in time for your weekend hunger pangs!

4. Franks Famous Hot Dogs (San Luis Obispo)

The hot dogs are not the only famous things at Franks; there is also a tasty breakfast menu with delectable pancakes and breakfast burritos from 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day. The hamburgers, fries and Franks also cannot be beat, and are always cooked to perfection. Franks has many specials, including Mini Burger Mondays, where they sell mini burgers for 99 cents each. Tuesday after 5 p.m. is Hot Dog Happy Hour, where you can grab any hot dog for $2.25. Monster Burger Wednesday even offers massive hamburgers for only $4.15. Franks Famous Hot Dogs also has a mini burger challenge; if you eat 10 of them, you get a T-shirt and your picture on the wall.

5. Chino’s Rock & Tacos (San Luis Obispo)

The lively atmosphere and eclectic decorations are what first drew me to Chino’s Rock & Tacos during my first visit to San Luis Obispo, before deciding to attend Cal Poly. The burritos, tacos and tamales are beyond comparison, and the sauce covering the dishes has just the right amount of spice. You also get complimentary chips and salsa with your order, which adds a nice touch. Chinos Rock & Tacos Tuesday features $1 tacos, BRC Wednesdays offers bean, rice, and cheese burritos for $2 and Nacho Mama Thursdays sells $4 nachos from 4-9 p.m. You cannot go wrong with a meal from Chino’s. Go now, before they close!

6. Sylvester’s Burgers (Los Osos, Atascadero, Oceano)

From 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sylvester’s Burgers are to die for, but only if you attempt to eat The Big One, a 5-pound beef burger. It consists of 2.5 pounds of meaty goodness and 2.5 pounds of fixin’s. If you devour it in less than 30 minutes, you get a free T-shirt and your photograph on the wall forever. If not, you must cough up $32.95 plus tax. Don’t have the stomach for the challenge? Sylvester’s Burgers also has an assortment of smaller burgers to try, including the Heart Attack (a fried egg, bacon, avocado, cheddar cheese, and Sylvester sauce), the Buffalo Burger and the Elk Burger.  Their garlic fries and chocolate milkshakes are also spectacular.  Make sure to come in on your birthday to claim your free hamburger!

7. Doc Burnstein’s Ice Cream Laboratory (Arroyo Grande)

There may be a Doc Burnstein’s in San Luis Obispo, but it pales in comparison to the original Doc Burnstein’s in Arroyo Grande.  For only $6.10, you can stuff yourself full of an unlimited amount of ice cream from 5-9 p.m. every Tuesday.  This special is only at the Arroyo Grande location.  Every Wednesday at 7 p.m., there ia a live ice cream show where you can help invent a new flavor! Doc’s Java, Motor Oil, Merlot Raspberry Truffle and the Elvis Special are some of the best original flavors Doc Burnstein’s has to offer.

8. Klondike Pizza (Arroyo Grande)

Klondike Pizza has been “serving good times ‘n good grub since 1988.”  This Alaska-themed pizza place has award-winning pizza as well as a fun and at-home atmosphere. The floor of the restaurant is made completely of dirt, and they encourage you to toss the shells of your complimentary peanuts right onto the floor. Klondike Pizza has a Tuesday Night Chowdown from 5-9 p.m. in which you can eat as many slices of pizza as you desire, including pizza topped with real Alaskan Reindeer Sausage! It costs about $10 for unlimited pizza, and you get salad and garlic bread, as well.  On the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, they also have a sing-along from 6:30-9 p.m. where you can dance the “Hokey Pokey” and the “Chicken Dance.”

Having been to all of these food joints numerous times throughout my years at Cal Poly, I can guarantee you that each and every one of them is superior in taste and value. Every week, I go to at least one of these places because of the great quality, taste of the food and the excitement of the atmosphere. You’ll find the food so good that you will want to come right back for your next meal, which is possible because of how affordable these places really are.

Lindsey Day is a third-year biological sciences major and volunteer with the Cal Poly Cat Program. She has a passion for science and law. Lindsey dreams of one day helping to eradicate an infectious disease as well as becoming a forensic scientist. She also loves photography, exploring nature, cooking, and going to comic book conventions.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.