you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You Got an Interview – What Next?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

You got an interview! Or, maybe you just want to be prepared for when you do get one. Either way, check out these useful tips that are sure to help you succeed.

Before the interview

• Research, research, and more research.

This is arguably the most important step in the interview process. It’s extremely important that you take a look at the company’s website to learn about their values, what they do (if you don’t already know) and the kind of employees they’re looking for. You don’t have to know everything, just gather a little bit of background info so that you’re familiar with the company.

• Prepare answers to basic questions.

Some common interview questions include, “Why do you want this job?”, “What do you know about our company?”, “What are your strengths/weaknesses?”, and “What makes you a good fit for this job?” It’s crucial to have prepared thoughtful answers to these questions in order to present a good impression.

• Create questions to ask the interviewer.

It’s almost guaranteed that you’ll be asked if you have any questions for the interviewer. Say yes. Having questions prepared shows your interest in the company and the position. We recommend asking questions such as, “What skills does a person in this position need to be successful?”, “What’s your favorite part about working for this company?”, and “What do you think the most challenging part of this position is?”

• Dress appropriately.

In order to create a good first impression, it’s important that you dress the part. For most interviews, it’s best to wear business casual or business professional attire. A nice pair of black/grey slacks, a business shirt with a blazer or sweater, and ballet flats or small heels are all good options. You can also accessorize with jewelry – don’t think business means boring! It’s also beneficial to bring with you a notebook and pen, just in case.

During the interview

• Arrive early.

This one may be self-explanatory, but be on time. Arriving a little early will not only impress the interviewer, but it will also give you time to relax and mentally prepare before the interview begins.

• Smile, firm handshake, eye contact.

These are some of the simplest and most meaningful things you can do during an interview. First off, smile! Although interviews may be intimidating, just think of it simply as a conversation. Of course, keep it professional, but also show the interviewer that you’re having a good time. Secondly, it’s important to have a firm handshake at the beginning and end of the interview – this portrays confidence. Lastly, try to maintain eye contact with the person you’re speaking to. We don’t mean stare them down the entire time (because, creepy.), but don’t speak to the wall instead of the person in front of you.

• Say thank you.

At the end of the interview, thank the employer for taking his/her time to meet with you and that you’re excited about this opportunity, and the possibility of working for the company.

After the interview

• Follow up.

You’re not finished just yet. It’s extremely important to send a follow-up email or phone call after the interview, just thanking the interviewer again and telling him/her you enjoyed talking with them.

After this, the waiting game begins. However, if you follow these easy tips, you’re sure to have a great chance at landing the job.

Gabby is a fourth-year Marketing and Statistics student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She's currently the Marketing & PR Director for HCCP, as well as a writer and editor. Her passions include consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, idealizing her life on Pinterest, and all things breakfast-related.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.